• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dartmouth Skiway 1/4/14

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Date(s) Skied: January 4, 2014

Resort or Ski Area: Dartmouth Skiway

Conditions: Powder and Hardpack

Trip Report: I was only trying to avoid crowds of powder snobs that no doubt would be mobbing most areas in South and Central New Hampshire. Armed with discount tickets I drove the Class 6 road from Canaan to Lyme. That in itself was a small wonder as I know it would be clear but I wasn’t expecting it to be as narrow as it is. There was just enough room for two cars to pass and at one point one car waited at the bottom of a hill for me to finish my descent I assume to give him some wiggle room.

Anyway, I wasn’t in a real hurry to get to the area because I didn’t expect fresh anything. I spent my day off shoveling snow until 3 pm on Friday. It was also extremely cold and was giving the temperature time to get above zero, which it did - just. Arrived to find the parking lot just beginning to fill around 10:30.
Winslow was of course open but there were tracks on Holts Ledge and the lift was running. There was a large orange sign declaring the slopes there were closed so I asked the girl at the ticket window what was up. She said Holts would open at about 11 am. My timing was (for once) perfect.

Here's what I saw.

P1043880 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

P1043881 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

P1043885 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

P1043895 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

P1043900 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

The center and skiers right
of Lower Lyme was getting pretty tracked out as people angled toward the lift. I was thinking of calling it quits when I noticed skiers left was relatively untouched to avoid a nominal march back up. My tracks are the second and fourth from the right and I added three more before stopping to warm up and have lunch.

P1043899 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

After lunch Holt was in the shade so I decided to ski in the sun.

P1043904 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

xwhaler

Excellent report! Was everything on holts open? Was there a week ago skiing hardpack groomers on Winslow only with holts down to Brown grass. What a difference a week makes!
How steep are the runs on holts? Looking from Winslow they look very good but not sure if that is true in reality....skiway looks like a total sleeper on a powder day!

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Was everything on holts open?

No. Far skiers right, Don Worden's Schuss, which when viewed from Winslow looks to have the best pitch too was not open but you could easily see that it was poached numerous times. I didn't even know it was there until I switched sides after lunch. Also Lift Line was roped off so Lower Gauntlet was as far as I can guess was unaccessible.

The beginning pitch on everything else was to say the least inadequate. I was just bulldozing down a good portion, stepping into someone else's track to pick up speed then aimed back into the fresh. It went that way for the top third. After that it was a bit more fun.

You weren't there by chance? I saw someone there dressing similarly to your avatar with a goofy powder drunk smile. Not you?

xwhaler

Nope. I was at Pats today. Was everything natural on holts from what you tell? No snowmaking had been done as of a week ago......was curious how grassy vs rocky those runs were on no base

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
100% organic. If you edged too deeply you did hit stubble which I did once or twice. Since I couldn't really get a lot of speed edging was not an issue. Any way failed to mention - shin deep.

You went to Pat's! I had the two for one available and I avoided it for fear of the dreaded crowd. I'm off to read your report right now.