• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dartmouth Skiway 12/29/13

dlague

Conditions: loose granular, PP, frozen HP

Originally our plan was to head up to Bretton Woods but that did not pan out so our backup was Dartmouth Skiway. We had never been there and though only one side had skiing we went for it using the Upper Valley Dollar Saver voucher.

We got there and the first impression was that lodge was really nice! However, there was no bar. We got our gear on and headed to the lift that never had a lift line all day. They claimed to have 9 trails open but there were technically 4 ways down. That was ok since we were there to make some fun turns which we did!

The main trails we skied were MBA, and Howard Chevers (blue), Pass-Fail (green) and our favorite Lower Thomas (black). Initially there were a bunch of ski teams training which caused a lot of traffic and technically shut down Thomas. This was a bit of a bummer but we just skied the least trafficked trails. After about 5-6 runs Thomas became available and that was a lot of fun! Up to that point MBA was our go to trail with nice twist and turns and a quick drop in the middle. Howard Chevers was a straight shot and skied nice on the edges but was scraped off in the middle in some spots.

Thomas once available is where we finished the day lapping it the last 4-5 runs. It is a trail though wide had different fall lines which allowed it to be skied differently each time. There were a several whales and some smallish bumps and a few good kickers. I had a lot of fun on that trails for sure. Not that is was that challenging, just that the terrain changed from top to bottom. Technically it skied like a blue at Sunday River. Funny thing - they had a sign at the top of the trail that read "Experts Only".

On the Holt's Ledge side nothing was open but the trails over there look very interesting with more steeps, pitches and fall lines.

Look at the cliff next to Dow Wordon Schuss
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388415876.772058.jpg

Wife looking at the potential on Holt's Ledge
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388415914.367564.jpg

Looking down Thomas wife is the skier below
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388415942.757278.jpg

Savemeasammy

I have been to the skiway a few times in the past. The holt's side is definitely the better of the 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

We were there for the 1st time yesterday too! Wished holts was open

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

I talked to a couple dartmouth regulars on the lift.....they say the skiway generally makes no effort to get holts open until everything on Winslow is open...and even then they are slow to get going....mid January is when folks thought Holts would start spinning with limited terrain
It really looks great over there..we enjoyed it and a good low key place to go on a holiday week. We'll be back once both sides are up and running
The upper valley deal was nice

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Dartmouth definitely on my hit list this year. What is the "upper valley deal"? Is that something buried in the "Skiing on the Cheap" thread? Probably missed it by now anyway but I don't imagine Dartmouth's prices are astronomical.

dlague

Dartmouth definitely on my hit list this year. What is the "upper valley deal"? Is that something buried in the "Skiing on the Cheap" thread? Probably missed it by now anyway but I don't imagine Dartmouth's prices are astronomical.

Not too buried! A few pages back maybe? http://uppervalley.dollarsavershow.c...ategory_id=326

We are interested in going back to ski the other side. When I saw that I was very interested!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do they no longer use the Holt's Side for racing? I know that they did when I lived up in that area, but the NCAA told them to do some major regarding of the race trail or lose their certification. I assumed that they did the fix and would be using that side/trail (and make snow over there).

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

NotEasyBeingGreen

Thanks for this detail. Haven't heard a thing about this one before a few days ago, but got it on the list now. Sounds very intriguing. By the way, saw the Passion for Snow documentary on Dartmouth's contributions to the sport last week. It's a great hour of TV - highly recommended!