• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dec 20th - Sugarloaf or Saddleback?

bnferguson

Hello all! Heading up to Maine to visit the wife's family for Christmas and I think I"m going to be stealing away a day to go up north and ski. The question is, which place should I go? I've been to Sugarloaf many times, love it. But I've been wanting to try Saddleback for a couple years and just can't get over there when we're up there.

Normally I'd just look at the conditions at both places but Saddleback isn't updating theirs with the Dec 15th opening date (but are currently making snow). Sugarloaf doesn't look too bad but I do fear near Christmas time crowds.

So I ask you dear experts of the North East - which would you plan for? Chance Saddleback only having a white ribbon of death the first week? Or Chance being mobbed at Sugarloaf?

Cheese

I'm interested to hear the responses here as well. I haven't been to Saddleback and the only reason is I can't see missing a day at the Loaf when I'm in that area.

soposkier

Hello all! Heading up to Maine to visit the wife's family for Christmas and I think I"m going to be stealing away a day to go up north and ski. The question is, which place should I go? I've been to Sugarloaf many times, love it. But I've been wanting to try Saddleback for a couple years and just can't get over there when we're up there.

Normally I'd just look at the conditions at both places but Saddleback isn't updating theirs with the Dec 15th opening date (but are currently making snow). Sugarloaf doesn't look too bad but I do fear near Christmas time crowds.

So I ask you dear experts of the North East - which would you plan for? Chance Saddleback only having a white ribbon of death the first week? Or Chance being mobbed at Sugarloaf?

Unless we get a lot of snow quick, I would go with Sugarloaf. I don't think Sugarloaf crowds will be bad at all on that thursday. Can't imagine Saddleback having much open by then (without significant natural). Hopefully Im wrong though! Love skiing both mountains.

xwhaler

I was a passholder for 2 yrs at Saddleback and know the mtn very well. They will likely blow snow on Grey Ghost (great blue crusiing run) as well as Green Weaver off the Rangeley double first thing. It's highly unlikely they will have the Kennebago quad open.

They also may get 1-2 runs off the T-Bar going (Blue/Red Devil are both nice blue cruisers)
If it's your only chance to visit Saddleback then I would do that...crowds should be light and while they dont have the snowmaking power of the Loaf they do a real nice job in getting a few trails open and in great shape.
Saddleback really shines though when everything is open...I know this is true of every mtn but I'd love for you to experience the glades and runs off the upper quad at some point.

That said, if we get some natural Saddleback is liberal about dropping ropes and opening trails under thin cover. Golden Smelt and Peachy's Peril come to mind as early season natural snow trails they may open.
I personally don't think either place will have any lines on a midweek Thursday the week before x-mas.

bnferguson

Thanks for the quick replies!

I think hitting Saddleback in the future is a possibility (wife spent her summers in Rangeley as a kid and loves going back) - so I may just stay close to Sugarloaf and if Saddleback gets a dump jump over there that morning. It's not too bad of a drive between the two. I really want to see Saddleback in all its glory. :)

soposkier

Thanks for the quick replies!

I think hitting Saddleback in the future is a possibility (wife spent her summers in Rangeley as a kid and loves going back) - so I may just stay close to Sugarloaf and if Saddleback gets a dump jump over there that morning. It's not too bad of a drive between the two. I really want to see Saddleback in all its glory. :)

You make it out yesterday? Nice timing.....

bnferguson

I did! Ridiculous timing. Probably the best snow I'd seen at the loaf. Was a really, really great day. Can't believe I hit the jackpot on that one. :)