• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIN Question

timm

I have a question about DIN settings and binding DIN ranges.

When I have bindings mounted I will have them set according to the manufacturer chart setting - 8.5 in my case. Then I will ski them and if I have prerelease issues, adjust them upwards incrementally by .5 and ski them again until they are good. This generally puts me around 9.5 or 10. I have heard that the ideal is to be in the middle of a bindings DIN range. So does having a DIN setting of 9.5 or 10 on a max 12 DIN binding create any potential problems I should be concerned about?

〽❄❅

drjeff

Here's a good read on DIN settings and bindings and retention issues:

http://www.vermontskisafety.com/vsrfaq5.php

VERY GOOD, and VERY TRUE article. For about 98% of folks out on skis, premature binding releases aren't a function of improper DIN settings, but improper technique. If you're centered over your skis, under just about all but the most extreme of circumstances (as outlined in that article), you're not going to be coming out of your bindings when they're set to reccomended specs. If you're OUT of position, well then all bets are off, and spending a bit of time focusing on core technique is probably better than wondering about what your DIN should be set at

Hawkshot99

and spending a bit of time focusing on core technique is probably better than wondering about what your DIN should be set at

But that would be like admitting that there is something wrong with a persons skiing skills, rather than being able to blame the gear...

timm

But that would be like admitting that there is something wrong with a persons skiing skills, rather than being able to blame the gear...

VERY GOOD, and VERY TRUE article. For about 98% of folks out on skis, premature binding releases aren't a function of improper DIN settings, but improper technique. If you're centered over your skis, under just about all but the most extreme of circumstances (as outlined in that article), you're not going to be coming out of your bindings when they're set to reccomended specs. If you're OUT of position, well then all bets are off, and spending a bit of time focusing on core technique is probably better than wondering about what your DIN should be set at

All very true, but as the charts/tests on that EpicSki thread demonstrate pretty clearly, a DIN number is not universal across different bindings so the "recommended specs" may still require some adjustment from binding to binding before you are getting uniform results.

That said, a high DIN has become a goofy sort of status thing for some idiots.

WoodCore

Sometimes it has nothing to do with the DIN setting at all! If your DIN is set high and the forward pressure is not set correctly you will eject very easily!

timm

True but the forward pressure is usually easier to diagnose as you will be popping out extremely easily if it is not correct, no?