• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Sand Anchor

SKIQUATTRO

looking to build a sand anchor (the kind you see beach umbrellas anchored to)...i need 3 of them and thought there maybe a way to build your own rather than dropping $15 ea on 'em.....any engineers out there? thinking some pvc, but cant figure out what do for the 'propeller' that digs into the sand....

Puck it

For $15, it would not worth it. You could just cut pvc pipe to about 2' and angle the end and then pounded into the sand. Then slide umbrella in to it and then secure it with a thumb screw through the pvc.

Voodoo003

Those cloth grocery bags are perfect. Dig a hole, fill the bag with what you dug, bury bag. And they are collapsable and lightweight.

bvibert

Staff member
at which point you don't really care what happens to the umbrella...

That is probably true at the time, but you'd probably be pissed later on. Especially if you pass out from said beer and wake up with a nasty sunburn... :flame:

bvibert

Staff member
That's why you should use and anchor so you can pass out under the umbrella.

Exactly!

Personally I like to bring a bag quikrete with me to the beach. It's a little bit more work, but the results are worth it!