• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do skating rinks fare better after thaw-freeze cycle?

New Daddy

Do skating rinks fare better after thaw-freeze cycle? If the temperature drops quickly enough and low enough, I don't think there is any reason skating rinks can't recover.

Work will probably keep me from going skiing this weekend, so I am thinking of going to Larz Anderson instead on their final weekend of outdoors skating season.

Hawkshot99

Almost every rink I have ever been to is a year round hockey rink with coolers and such. The outdoor rinks I played at also had coolers under the ice so they were able to handle warmer temps, but not summer like the indoor rinks.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

kickstand

I believe they do. It's almost like a resurfacing, but I think it depends on the rink and the temps. For example, last weekend I was skating outside at Nestlenook in Jackson, NH. If you stayed in the shadows, it was fine. Get out into the sunlight and it wasn't skating, it was walking. You would sink into the ice the full depth of the blade.

I looked up Larz Anderson and it looks like it's in Brookline. I would expect all outdoor skating in MA (unless it has under-ice refridgeration) to be done. My neighbor built a rink in his yard and I don't expect to be skating on it again this season. Today is 47. I don't think the nighttime temps have been getting low enough to keep things good. If they are open and you do go, I would go as early in the morning as possible.