• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

Kingslug20

Was hoping when I got home winter would have returned...rain in Feb!!!
Motivation is low today...
One of the perils of coming home....

Edd

The rain looks brief at least. It was nice to put away the carvers for a bit but I was back on them yesterday at Gunstock. Skiing was pretty good actually.

ThatGuy

I’m at the point in the season when I’ve skied powder enough to not be motivated to go on icy groomers. Need some real snow asap (and lots of it).

NYDB

I'm going to try and get to magic tommorow for some turns before it all freezes back up again Friday night/sat morn. touches 50 tonight and stays warm most of Friday. hopefully natural terrain is soft enough.
maybe a few icy groomer laps sat morn.

@ThatGuy - i hear ya. I'm usually sick of icy groomer laps by new years.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I’m at the point in the season when I’ve skied powder enough to not be motivated to go on icy groomers. Need some real snow asap (and lots of it).
I'm at the point of the season where looking at the weather outlook for next couple weeks I don't know how much the season is gonna get better before it gets worse, so I'm gonna get as many turns in and as much value out of my Indy and Epic passes as my work schedule permits, though I am not gonna take any of my PTO days to ski these conditions (might use some to go West in March or April).

ThatGuy

Id rather ski soft bumps than icy groomers, already at 30 something days so getting my moneys worth has turned into is the gas worth it.

JimG.

Staff member
Ski or don't...that's the only option available right now.

Belleayre again tomorrow. Looking forward to soft bumps.

I love powder but I'm not enough of a powder princess to not ski when there is no powder. One of the reasons I don't go out west and get spoiled with good snow; I'd never want to come back east. Why ruin a perfectly good season?

NYDB

I love powder but I'm not enough of a powder princess to not ski when there is no powder. One of the reasons I don't go out west and get spoiled with good snow; I'd never want to come back east. Why ruin a perfectly good season?
I love 'powder princess'.

Zand

I'm far from a powder princess but I need natural terrain and woods by January. I don't care if that natural terrain is covered with powder, dirt, rocks, grass, whatever. But if it's solid ice and can't be skied (or just totally bare like early January was) then I have a hard time going just to ski groomers all day.

I could ski 0 powder days all season and still consider it successful as long as we had a good run of natural terrain being open. That type of season has been hard to come by the last 3 years.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm far from a powder princess but I need natural terrain and woods by January. I don't care if that natural terrain is covered with powder, dirt, rocks, grass, whatever. But if it's solid ice and can't be skied (or just totally bare like early January was) then I have a hard time going just to ski groomers all day.

I could ski 0 powder days all season and still consider it successful as long as we had a good run of natural terrain being open. That type of season has been hard to come by the last 3 years.
In truth, I feel like you do.

But if I take the stance that I'm not skiing icy groomers after December then I would ski a lot less than I do. Especially this season.

Which explains my current thinking that I can ski or not. And I'd rather ski whatever.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

There are some days I will skip skiing
- won't ski if I expect it to rain
- won't ski if I expect to be below zero
- won't ski if it will be rainy or real warm rheday before and deep freeze over night so I expect serious ice.

But if it is going to be the standard Eastern hard pack groomers, I have the day off, and can eaily get somewhere I have a pass to, I will ski at least one day every weekend Thanksgiving - Easter

2Planker

This is crazy. Normally mid Feb is the coldest 2 weeks of a NE winter. But Nooooo. Not this year. We’re in the 40’s or 50’s and breaking records every other day…

Keelhauled

It's pissing cold rain at home in central VT right now, if that's an improvement over hot.

Keelhauled

Yeah I think this weekend is when I psychologically switch to maple sugaring point of view.

2Planker

Yeah I think this weekend is when I psychologically switch to maple sugaring point of view.
But even maple sugaring requires COLD nightime temps. Not temps in 40’s and 50’s.
By March we’ll probably be in the 60’s.

Break out the bike, and the convertible. 👍

Kingslug20

I count 12 snow days here so far...leaving out the 4 in utah..out of 48...
Yes..it helps to be retired....
But I'll ski in anything...beats being indoors.

eatskisleep

Yeah this season blows for snow. Couple nice storms but overall way too warm.

drjeff

Yeah this season blows for snow. Couple nice storms but overall way too warm.
Has made it much easier standing by the side of a race course coaching my sons Highschool team for sure. Not as easy to do when you're in "coach mode" and the snow is great and you want to be out free skiing. That's about the only "good" thing I can say about this season for the most part thusfar for me

• Haha
Reactions: abc