• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

drjeff

It rained all summer....why change now..
Put just over 4" into my wife's garden rain guage in Eastern CT last Monday, just emptied 4.5" out of it today, and we're currently just missing by about 10 miles the big squall line moving up through RI and into the Boston area soon...

Yup, just like Summer 🤮🤮

snoseek

Webcams looking awful lol. If anyone's open Wednesday I'll head up out of pure curiosity.

I'm off in early February and really don't want to get on a plane but it's gonna take alot of snow to get back on track.

BodeMiller1

Yes, it sucks. A lot of the mountains will loose a good part of the mountain. At least all of the bottom with wash puts and the damage that comes with it. 🖤

MidnightJester

Not sure if this is Mount Snow or Okemo but Ski mountains have a SINKING feeling about Christmas at this point in the Northeast. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have done this in a Canoe on the Delaware river with three people when it got Swamped by small white caps and small rapids. : )~ Paddeled our new Submarine for 100's of feet this way till we bailed on Que'

200w.gif

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

Not if it will take the sting out of the rain, but I'm having a much better hair day. When it's dry the fluff and set doesn't hold

BodeMiller1

drjeff

Bunch of areas in VT were either preemptively closed or end up closing early today. No sense in opening with torrential rain......
From a snow surfaces standpoint, let alone the potential community recovery effort needs, most should also remain closed tomorrow to allow more water to drain out of the snowpack before the cats push snow around...

Mtn ops all over are going to have to put a ton of lipstick on the mega pig mother nature brought today! 🤮🤮

KustyTheKlown

ya this stinks. this weekend was already a no-ski for me. mother-in-law is visiting 12/21-26, but i have grand plans for eastern skiing 12/27-31, and right now it all looks rather shite. may have to do the fucking tremblant thing again. also was scoping hotels near st anne and massif. hate paying for a lift ticket, but if thats where the snow is...

flights to anyplace ski-able 12/26-31 are a bad joke. add in cars and hotels and the jokes get worse. some friends in bozeman i could impose upon i guess...

every time i have ever had intentions on sugarloaf and saddleback, the universe has other plans for me it seems

Atomic

From a snow surfaces standpoint, let alone the potential community recovery effort needs, most should also remain closed tomorrow to allow more water to drain out of the snowpack before the cats push snow around...

Mtn ops all over are going to have to put a ton of lipstick on the mega pig mother nature brought today! 🤮🤮

Fellow CT'er here - thinking of hitting the mighty Snow on Wed. despite the carnage because it will be my last chance to "shred" anything before the holiday mayhem ensues - what does your crystal ball predict it will look like?

thebigo

SR, Loon, Wildcat, Attitash and BW all closed Tuesday the 19th.
add waterville to the list, does not sound good

12/19/23 OPERATIONS UPDATE: Waterville Valley Resort received approximately 5 inches of rainfall over the past 24 hours. We have yet to evaluate the mountain, but on the bright side, we still see a lot of white on our cameras. The base lodge, lift terminals, and various other facilities have been impacted by this heavy precipitation and will need some deep cleaning prior to reopening. Given unknown snow conditions in combination with continued warmth and wetness, we will be suspending alpine ski area operations for Tuesday, December 19th.

saddleback, sugarloaf and pleasant also closed. The SR FB fans page is rough to look at. water pouring out of B6, access road gone, comp center mudslide.

Last edited:

oldfartrider

ya this stinks. this weekend was already a no-ski for me. mother-in-law is visiting 12/21-26, but i have grand plans for eastern skiing 12/27-31, and right now it all looks rather shite. may have to do the fucking tremblant thing again. also was scoping hotels near st anne and massif. hate paying for a lift ticket, but if thats where the snow is...

flights to anyplace ski-able 12/26-31 are a bad joke. add in cars and hotels and the jokes get worse. some friends in bozeman i could impose upon i guess...

every time i have ever had intentions on sugarloaf and saddleback, the universe has other plans for me it seems
Europe is where the goods are right now. Fly to Geneva, there’s a direct bus to Chamonix and it’s cheap, I just checked google maps there’s affordable places to stay there. No car needed everything is walkable. It’s on the Ikon pass, there’s plenty of restaurant choices and you get to experience something different.