• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driver that struck teen suing dead boy's family

snoseek

Please law people tell me this will get thrown out!

I know zero about how this sort of thing works but jesus this is just so sad.

skiNEwhere

Wtf!!!!

I can't believe that there was a lawyer with low enough (or no) morals to take this either.

I hope this gets thrown out

LiquidFeet

Better call Saul.
95402ec4ec3cca9dbf56ee419cc58041.jpg

Puck it

Not condoning this, but she was not charged with anything. It appears that the fault was in the bicyclists though.

bvibert

Staff member
How does it appear that the fault was with the bicyclists? Because she said so? Just because she wasn't charged with anything doesn't mean that the other parties were at fault. It could have just been an accident, does someone always have to be at fault? It could also be that she was at fault, but that her police officer husband influenced the responding officers' decision on whether or not to ticket her.

Puck it

How does it appear that the fault was with the bicyclists? Because she said so? Just because she wasn't charged with anything doesn't mean that the other parties were at fault. It could have just been an accident, does someone always have to be at fault? It could also be that she was at fault, but that her police officer husband influenced the responding officers' decision on whether or not to ticket her.
Wow. Jump on me would you. I said I did condone it. May be appears was too strong a word. There are to sides to every story. How do you know they had reflectors because the father sasid so. How do you know they were wearing orange reflector vests on a dark night? Why were they out at 1AM? What is hot dog stand is open at 1AM and wer they stoned?

bvibert

Staff member
Wow. Jump on me would you. I said I did condone it. May be appears was too strong a word. There are to sides to every story. How do you know they had reflectors because the father sasid so. How do you know they were wearing orange reflector vests on a dark night? Why were they out at 1AM? What is hot dog stand is open at 1AM and wer they stoned?

I wasn't jumping on you, just pointing out that we don't know that the kids were at fault.

Madroch

She filed suit because they did.. Best defense is a good offense. Not condoning- just observing. Assuming her allegations, if true, are actionable under Canadian law- she will use the suit as leverage when attempting to resolve their claim against her. While she may never be able to prove the facts are true- discovery and trial will coincide with the other lawsuit- so hence the leverage until the facts become clear.

Mapnut

Devil's advocate: toward the very end of the article it says that the family filed a "routine suit" against the driver, presumably first. Is it routine to sue a driver who might not be in the least at fault, hitting bicylists in the dark at 2 a.m.? The suit alleges that she was drunk with no evidence whatsoever. I might take offense if that was done to me, although I would blame their lawyer first. Also the article is ridiculously biased toward the family.

bvibert

Staff member
Devil's advocate: toward the very end of the article it says that the family filed a "routine suit" against the driver, presumably first. Is it routine to sue a driver who might not be in the least at fault, hitting bicylists in the dark at 2 a.m.? The suit alleges that she was drunk with no evidence whatsoever. I might take offense if that was done to me, although I would blame their lawyer first. Also the article is ridiculously biased toward the family.

You definitely have valid points.