• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dual Late Season Storm Thread

kendo

^get it early KS.

Great week at Stowe wrapped up a cv shortened season for me. Lots of vert skied each day. No complaints and look forward to getting back to 40+ days in 21/22.

Tonyr

My last day of skiing today this season and what a homerun Stowe has been since Wednesday. We were going to head up to Jay Peak today but the conditions here were so good the last 2 days we decided to stay put and Stowe again did not disappoint. The glades were very good this morning, the snow was getting a little heavy in there but it was still alot of fun. Lot's of untracked lines still to be had.

We came in around 1 pm when the snow started to get sticky which was fine by me as my legs and back are toast! Until next season.....
20210403_124636~2.jpg20210403_114950~2.jpg20210403_113138~2.jpg20210403_104707~2.jpg

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

the north of 89/south of 89 mason dixon is a real thing.

if anyone is wondering whether upper organgrinder has softened as of 2 PM, the answer is NO. but it will be glorious the next truly warm day.

yesterday was one of the best days of the season so I’m content. I also ate a little psilocybin this morning, expecting a fairly boring but sunny and bright day on the sugarbush slopes. good decision. had a sparkly morning.

cdskier

the north of 89/south of 89 mason dixon is a real thing.

if anyone is wondering whether upper organgrinder has softened as of 2 PM, the answer is NO. but it will be glorious the next truly warm day.
No surprise there. Still 20 degrees up top and OG isn't the right angle for direct sun exposure. Sunrise softened up nicely when I skied it around 12:30 as would be expected.

Zand

Having second thoughts about tomorrow. The best glades (Everglade, Staircase, Deliverance, Vertigo) as well as Canyonland and Valhalla are all closed. Leaves North Glade, Beaver Pond, Timbuktu, and Kitz/Hells as the only decent options plus some smaller options. Is that worth day tripping all the way to Jay? Think things will soften up enough to get good conditions on stuff like Jet and UN?

cdskier

Sunrise and especially Birch beautiful bumps. Bottom 500 feet of lower organgrinder soft bumps but lots of people.

Killington next up.

Yea...the bottom of Lower OG was quite nice as well.

Awful. Knew it was going to be bad but skied it anyway. Dumb.
I've learned from making that mistake far too often in the past!

KustyTheKlown

lol ya i am a glutton for punishment, did upper organgrinder and steins back to back. woof. lower organgrinder was great. birdland was great. spring skiing is fun.

KustyTheKlown

Having second thoughts about tomorrow. The best glades (Everglade, Staircase, Deliverance, Vertigo) as well as Canyonland and Valhalla are all closed. Leaves North Glade, Beaver Pond, Timbuktu, and Kitz/Hells as the only decent options plus some smaller options. Is that worth day tripping all the way to Jay? Think things will soften up enough to get good conditions on stuff like Jet and UN?

canyonland was closed on friday but was widely skied and skiable. timbuktu sucked friday, tons of shit poking thru. beaver and andres and north skied great. kitz>hells skied pretty good. i found everglade to be totally skiable and on the good side - it was closed because the major entrance is impassable, and there is exposed water within - but its def skiable. this might be your last chance to ski any type of trees this season, and it should be a beautiful day tomorrow. i would go skiing. i am going skiing. but it wont be the powder days of thurs-fri.

Zand

Yeah I know the powder ship sailed, just hoping driving 8.5 hrs roundtrip is worth it. Going to Utah in 9 days so I still have more season to look forward to.

I miss having Jay 45 minutes away. Those were the days. But living in the NEK wasn't worth it.

Tonyr

Yeah I know the powder ship sailed, just hoping driving 8.5 hrs roundtrip is worth it. Going to Utah in 9 days so I still have more season to look forward to.

I miss having Jay 45 minutes away. Those were the days. But living in the NEK wasn't worth it.
I would be hesitant to drive 8.5 hours round trip to ski tomorrow especially since you have a western trip upcoming. The conditions should be more than solid for April but that is a crazy day for what will be above average conditions under normal circumstances. The best days are now behind us here in the east unless another storm comes in the very near future.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I loved thursday. Friday was almost as good but I can't rate it higher as the traffic killed the powder by the afternoon. Normally not a big deal mid-season, but under the new snow there is one of two things-

Sheer ice
Rocks, stumps, branches, dirt

I don't think the skiing would be very good at the moment at Jay as all that powder has been pushed around and I highly doubt it'll soften up outside of anything in the direct sun.

ThatGuy

I’d say save your legs for Utah, Jay was getting really tracked out as ss20 stated. Definitely good skiing but not 8 1/2 hours of driving level.

Smellytele

I was at Jay today skied canyon land, lower part of the staircase, north, beaver, andre’s, kits and they all skied fine but you needed to pay attention. Timbuktu was horrible.
Things did soften up. Skied 8:45 to 4. Lines around witching time 10:30-noon were 10-15 min at the jet and maybe 10 at the flyer. Flyer had another rush around 1:30.

teejahiss

lol i started reading that this morning, got to 'leather shoe by guardmyshoe wearing office workers in a Denver suburb' and realized what the date was, and then stopped reading lol.

just finished, thanks for point that out. that group grinds my gears but i do find the weather posts to be useful.

"“We hope this new forecasting project will give skiers and riders real-time intel as to the actual conditions versus getting their beta from, say, a corporate resort reporter, a Facebook group, or some weather hobbyist sitting in his basement in Albany reading “Meteorology for Dummies,” said Graupel."
hahha, exactly.