• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dynafit st radical bindings.

Middle-aged skier

I’ve acquired a pair of what I believe are dynafit st radical bindings. I am currently using a marker kingpin 13 binding and am wondering if there would be any advantage or disadvantage to swapping out the king pin for the dynafit? I see a lot of people in dynafit and I’m intrigued by the simplicity. And they appear to perhaps be lighter. Does anyone have any experience with the dynafit ?

fbrissette

The Dynafit radical ST binding was for quite a while one of the best AT binding you could get. Light with solid retention, bulletproof construction. The kingpin has the following advantages: din certified, better heel retention, closer feel to an alpine binding. The disadvantages: more complex to operate (not a biggie on hard snow, but for long touring days in soft snow with multiple transitions, can be a bit of a pain), and it is heavier. Depending on the Version of the king pin you have, the Dynafit will be 1/4 to 1/3 pound lighter per binding than the king pin. Quite significant on a long day. By today's standards, the radical ST is a heavy tech binding. Most people would not put these two bindings in the same categories. The marker puts more emphasis on downhill retention at the expense of uphill efficiency.

Middle-aged skier

The Dynafit radical ST binding was for quite a while one of the best AT binding you could get. Light with solid retention, bulletproof construction. The kingpin has the following advantages: din certified, better heel retention, closer feel to an alpine binding. The disadvantages: more complex to operate (not a biggie on hard snow, but for long touring days in soft snow with multiple transitions, can be a bit of a pain), and it is heavier. Depending on the Version of the king pin you have, the Dynafit will be 1/4 to 1/3 pound lighter per binding than the king pin. Quite significant on a long day. By today's standards, the radical ST is a heavy tech binding. Most people would not put these two bindings in the same categories. The marker puts more emphasis on downhill retention at the expense of uphill efficiency.
This is all extremely helpful. I’ve been skiing for almost 40 years but only five years in the Backountry. My wife wants to get into and she’s a beginner skier. I got her a pair of atomic’s with the dynafit bindings and I’m thinking I’ll switch those with my kingpin 13’s. I think she’ll have an easier time with the kingpin and plus I can set the din to beginner. But I don’t know how I’ll like the dynafit I know some guys swear by them. I just wonder how they will be in tight trees and steep gullies?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I have radicals and the only complaint is snow can get compacted underneath in spring area on the toe pice . I had a couple pre releases before I figured it out. Silicone spray helps 😁
I carry a small screwdriver and clean it up before stepping in for the downhill. This is probably an East Coast issue.
I don’t have tons of time in them as some here do.

Middle-aged skier

I have radicals and the only complaint is snow can get compacted underneath in spring area on the toe pice . I had a couple pre releases before I figured it out. Silicone spray helps 😁
I carry a small screwdriver and clean it up before stepping in for the downhill. This is probably an East Coast issue.
I don’t have tons of time in them as some here do.
I have that with the king pins to.

fbrissette

I have that with the king pins to.
All tech bindings suffer from this problem to a certain extent. I've skied several years with the radicals, and opening and closing the toe a couple of times in transitions normally does the job at keeping the springs free of snow. I always carry a small ice pick in the bag. As to your previous question about skiability, the radical have very strong retention. However, they have very little elasticity, and do not have length compensation. For strong/heavy skiers, if the ski flexes, you may have high pressure contact between boot and rear bindings, in which case the release characteristics may be compromised. You should have 3-4mm of space between the boot and the rear binding, This is imperative. Radical bindings may be skied on hard snow, you get good feedback from the ski with its low stack height. But the lack of elasticity means they are not as good in hard bumps. They can be skied in resort, but certainly not recommended for hard charging skiers as release characteristics and elasticiry make them less secure than true alpine bindings.

1dog

Need recs:
Attempting to move from the heavy Marker Duke free heel/Volkl Mantra weight to lighter binding/ski combo.
maybe 200 lbs w all gear on, 75-80% is downhill with rest backcountry.
I don't want to give up any performance on steep, icy, but also want/need quick in tight trees - if conditions permit, 75% of downhill is in trees/woods, so quick ( hence light).

Skis - bumps/edges of trails, etc. don't need or care for long high speed GS. turns, but need something for ice and firm - hence 4 pairs of Mantra's over the past few years. They do everything 'OK' but they ain't light. Most recent are M5's of 2019. Anything in here? https://www.powder7.com/lightest-backcountry-skis-for-men/guide

Ferox look like they might fit - but I've been taken in by well-written marketing before. . . .https://gearjunkie.com/winter/skiing/best-backcountry-skis#one-ski

Bindings - can't release in hard turns or steep backcountry so while weight is important - I have to know they won't release on impact. Settings on the lead-weight Dukes are 8.5 or higher.

Boots - can I get same action-movement from boot-to-ski with lighter Scarpa as I do with Lange or Technica's? Scarpa hiking boots have been my go top for 30+ years - indestructible - but my boot guy said last time he fit me - if you're on a chute or tight trees you need 'transfer' instantly - more than 'light on way up.' Never forgot those statements. Look forward to any and all input. Expect I'll be told I can't have my cake and eat it too . . . and I'm never gonna be 160 lbs either.

Middle-aged skier

Need recs:
Attempting to move from the heavy Marker Duke free heel/Volkl Mantra weight to lighter binding/ski combo.
maybe 200 lbs w all gear on, 75-80% is downhill with rest backcountry.
I don't want to give up any performance on steep, icy, but also want/need quick in tight trees - if conditions permit, 75% of downhill is in trees/woods, so quick ( hence light).

Skis - bumps/edges of trails, etc. don't need or care for long high speed GS. turns, but need something for ice and firm - hence 4 pairs of Mantra's over the past few years. They do everything 'OK' but they ain't light. Most recent are M5's of 2019. Anything in here? https://www.powder7.com/lightest-backcountry-skis-for-men/guide

Ferox look like they might fit - but I've been taken in by well-written marketing before. . . .https://gearjunkie.com/winter/skiing/best-backcountry-skis#one-ski

Bindings - can't release in hard turns or steep backcountry so while weight is important - I have to know they won't release on impact. Settings on the lead-weight Dukes are 8.5 or higher.

Boots - can I get same action-movement from boot-to-ski with lighter Scarpa as I do with Lange or Technica's? Scarpa hiking boots have been my go top for 30+ years - indestructible - but my boot guy said last time he fit me - if you're on a chute or tight trees you need 'transfer' instantly - more than 'light on way up.' Never forgot those statements. Look forward to any and all input. Expect I'll be told I can't have my cake and eat it too . . . and I'm never gonna be 160 lbs either.
I was told my king pin 13’s are probably the lightest and beefiest you can get. That being said I’ve decided to go up to the duke pt. Because I’ve been worried about coming out in steep terrain.

1dog

Thx MAS,

Have to look up weight delta of the two. Locked and secure sense is sure worth it standing on top of something like this:1662562263891.png