• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Wilderness, December 22, 2010

smowler

The first rule of the Balsams is you don't talk about the Balsams.

The second rule of the Balsams is if you DO talk about it you use refer to it as "Bretton Woods".

It is great news they did re-open after all!

nlmasopust

I sure hope they don't mar Dixville Notch with a power line. There are already a few lines going to the west of it over near Canaan.

I've skied "Bretton Woods" several times, ex-girlfriend was from that area originally. One time I went pre-season and skinned up, also with no day-ruining encounters of the alien kind despite seeing several. One benefit of going very early to earn some turns is that, if you can find it, there is a connecting trail (somewhere along the black trail to far skier's left) to the VAST trails. They open the VAST trails after a certain date probably in December, but before that date, the VAST trail to the summit of Dixville Peak is pretty nice skiing. Not steep, but I could make chill, linked turns all the way down through 10-12" of fresh pow.

And really... No one is going to go here. You could put huge billboards all up I-91 for it and people still wouldn't go. Less than 1000' vertical, 5 hour drive from central CT, 10 trails or whatever they have. I'm not too worried about it getting crowded.

Also, I wouldn't call this place steep by any means. But if you like carving on nice blues it is ideal. I've NEVER seen any ice there at all. Has always been soft, wonderful surface. If you like no crowds, it's ideal. Woods are okay, but fairly short sections only from what I remember. Lodge really is great as Billski says.

I'll find some photos from there and post 'em.

nlmasopust

Pics:

Base area, tow-bar and summit double:
picture.php

Skinning up for third lap next to tracks from 2nd lap, lodge with huge deck and bunny slope double in background:
picture.php

Up and down tracks on VAST trail to summit of Dixville:
picture.php

On the summit of Dixville. Cold, windy, humid from a squall that went through, but summit fever cured!
picture.php

bigbob

Does the VAST you are referring to stand for Vermont Association of Snow Travelers, a snowmobile association? This is in NH and there are snowmobile trails in the area which are under the New Hampshire Bureau of Trails managed by local clubs, probably the Colebrook Ski Bees.