• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

skiur

We had the discussion before that people who live in cities don’t really have a place to plug in when you live in an apartment

I understand that, I live in NYC, but I still don't understand why somebody would buy an EV if they couldn't charge it at home. It makes absolutely no sense. Unless they had a guaranteed charger at work.

parahelia

I don't understand why somebody would buy an EV if they couldn't charge it at home.

Even worse - I've noticed a lot of rental car fleets pushing EVs. The last thing I want to do when traveling for work or fun is to figure out how to charge an EV in an unfamiliar location. I would pay a premium *not* to have an EV in that case.

My dad loves his Tesla, plots out his road trips around charging stations, does day trips to SR all winter long, etc. But he's retired and has a lot more flexibility to take time out to charge while on the road. I'm sticking with my hybrid Sienna for now - not fashionable, but with AWD and hybrid mpg it's a great family ski vehicle.

1dog

I am just speaking of the cold weather charging issue popping up in Chicago. Not about the overall fucking.
understand. Rental fleets replacing those EV's are going to flood the market with used, cheap EV's. I see in Barrons where China's EV company overtook Tesla as the largest EV company in the world. . .they make more, then just store them. . . . . cause no one in CHina wants them either. . . . .

2Planker

understand. Rental fleets replacing those EV's are going to flood the market with used, cheap EV's. I see in Barrons where China's EV company overtook Tesla as the largest EV company in the world. . .they make more, then just store them. . . . . cause no one in CHina wants them either. . . . .
I heard last week that Hertz is selling off 50% of their Teslas due to maintenance costs