• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mountain rumors

zero chance
i agree, or at least to some point. Maybe not zero chance, but its super low. the reason i say that is because i still cant believe Vail hasnt given up operating Big Boulder or Jack Frost, but there are weekends when both draw bigger crowds than ever. Elk is in the middle of no where pretty much. There is a substantial amount of land associated with it though. it would be a candidate for like a water park, all year round kinda Kalahari thing, but again, its pretty much in the middle of no where. Im not a long time season pass holder, so i dont have the inside scoop, but those antique lifts arent going to run for ever. i do like to ski there occasionally, but you do spend alot of time riding slow lifts. i think that place would need some new money thrown into the place shortly.

trackbiker

i agree, or at least to some point. Maybe not zero chance, but its super low. the reason i say that is because i still cant believe Vail hasnt given up operating Big Boulder or Jack Frost, but there are weekends when both draw bigger crowds than ever. Elk is in the middle of no where pretty much. There is a substantial amount of land associated with it though. it would be a candidate for like a water park, all year round kinda Kalahari thing, but again, its pretty much in the middle of no where. Im not a long time season pass holder, so i dont have the inside scoop, but those antique lifts arent going to run for ever. i do like to ski there occasionally, but you do spend alot of time riding slow lifts. i think that place would need some new money thrown into the place shortly.
Montage has a water park not too far away and in a much more populous area. There is a lot of land but it's mostly the back side of the mountain and not easily accessible.
I don't see a Vail being interested and any real-estate would be limited.
They could use two high speed quads to the top and open some glades but otherwise I wouldn't change much.

doublediamond

IF Elk had been sold already, then we know Vail isn't the buyer. They are required to make public statements right away on major transactions.

So then IF Elk was sold, it'd have to be a private sale.

And with how the DOJ is investigating the Altera–A-Basin purchase, there's zero chance Vail risks buying another PA resort.