• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Employee Housing at Stratton

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
IMG_3026.JPG

"On-mountain employee housing and Dostal’s employee housing are available for a limited number of full-time seasonal employees only. Dostal’s is situated about 20 minutes from Stratton Mountain Resort in a remote area at Magic Mountain. ...

Dostal’s consists of three separate buildings (Main, Annex & House) all located in very close proximity to one another, and is dormitory style living. Most rooms occupy 2-4 residents with its own bathroom, and limited storage space. Each Dostal’s building has it own communal kitchen and common area with a television. The main building has a laundry room (pay per wash, washers & dryers), pool tables, ping pong, vending machines, arcade games & a large common area with a big screen television.
Rent is $100 a week
DOSTAL’S BUS SCHEDULE
1st TRIP (weekends and holidays only)
5:20 am Bus arrives at Dostal’s
5:30 am Bus departs Dostal’s bound for Stratton Mountain Resort
2nd TRIP
6:20 am Bus arrives at Dostal’s
6:30 am Bus departs Dostal’s bound for Stratton Mountain Resort
3rd TRIP
7:20 am Bus arrives at Dostal’s
7:30 am Bus departs Dostal’s bound for Stratton Mountain Resort
4th TRIP - WEEK DAYS ONLY
9:50 am Bus arrives at Dostal’s
10:00 am Bus departs Dostal’s bound for Stratton Mountain Resort
RETURN TRIPS - EVERY DAY
3:30 pm Bus departs Lot 1 bound for Dostal’s
5:30 pm Bus departs Lot 1 bound for Dostal’s
10:00 pm Bus departs from ISM bound for Dostal’s (employees that have night jobs only)

Shopping trips are provided twice a week at the cost of $5 per resident, shopping trips run on Tuesday and Friday evenings at 6:30pm. "

http://www.stratton.com/jobs/employee_housing.htm

IMG_3022.JPG

Holy schmoly. Those reviews make me wanna run far and fast awaaaaaay!

Last edited:

AdironRider

Employee housing is terrible everywhere.

You occasionally hear of Alta having good stuff, but its just as terrible you just happen to get country club powder every once and a while when they close the canyon, so they put up with it.

AdironRider

You realize they need to jazz it up for TV right. The entire base village of Jackson Hole is as well. I dont think anyone is that scared.

neil

I actually went riding with the guy who runs the Stratton housing last season. Really cool guy. Showed me literally everything at Stratton...was a great day!

sull1102

Anybody else notice the little part at the end saying "in a remote area at Magic Mountain"? Idk what the deal is here, but does not make Magic look good, even if Magic is not involved with it in the slightest bit.

Sorcerer

When Trudy Dostal sold the Inn it was in pretty good shape. A guy from Boston bought it and ran it into the ground in a couple of years. His on site manager was a boxer who knew absolutely nothing about running an inn or dealing with customers. It went bankrupt and was closed for a year before the current owner bought it. He's done quite a bit fixing it up but still has a bit to go.

millerm277

When Trudy Dostal sold the Inn it was in pretty good shape. A guy from Boston bought it and ran it into the ground in a couple of years. His on site manager was a boxer who knew absolutely nothing about running an inn or dealing with customers. It went bankrupt and was closed for a year before the current owner bought it. He's done quite a bit fixing it up but still has a bit to go.

In that case, I would rename the place so those reviews don't apply...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Anybody else notice the little part at the end saying "in a remote area at Magic Mountain"? Idk what the deal is here, but does not make Magic look good, even if Magic is not involved with it in the slightest bit.

I saw that and just shrugged it off. It's buried on a section about employment, probably one of the last places a Stratton customer would be looking. I'm a bit surprised they don't at least password protect those pages.

Sorcerer

In that case, I would rename the place so those reviews don't apply...

The Dostal signs have been removed and the inn remains nameless. It has a sign that says "Stratton Employee Housing". People still call it Dostal's to identify the location. It's not open to the public.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Back in the 70's as sorcerer mentioned, Dostal's was a topnotch ski resort lodge. Upscale, with a bar scene and restaurant. We used to stay there when my dad first started my brother and I skiing. It is ashame what happened to the place but with Magic's stint on NELSAP and the years since of hanging on by a thread and Trudy selling, it's not that surprising what happened to the place.

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
While we would much rather have Dostal's the way it was, Tim who owns Timberside has put quite a bit of money in the place and it is no longer the eyesore it was 2 years ago.

Hopefully at some point it can return to serving Magic directly.

VTsnowboarder

what would make magic look good is if their lifts ran properly. Dostals has nothing to do with Magic in anyway, besides being on the same road.

VTsnowboarder

I saw that and just shrugged it off. It's buried on a section about employment, probably one of the last places a Stratton customer would be looking. I'm a bit surprised they don't at least password protect those pages.

There is no need to password protect the pages as they are there to inform prospective employees.

Sorcerer

what would make magic look good is if their lifts ran properly. Dostals has nothing to do with Magic in anyway, besides being on the same road.

I don't know what you mean by "what would make magic look good is if their lifts ran properly". I've been skiing there for 40 years and have had only 2 problems with a lift. In the most recent, the previous owners had used the wrong sized cotter pin to hold the chair on the cable and a chair slipped backwards. That crew is gone. Magic tends to slow or stop the lift whenever someone falls which some people take as a problem.

twinplanx

There is no need to password protect the pages as they are there to inform prospective employees.

Mabey prospective employees should "pitch-in and skin Magic so they would't have to bitch about lifts that have nothing to do w/ stratton:dunce:...