• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Employee Housing at Stratton

dropKickMurphy

You realize they need to jazz it up for TV right. The entire base village of Jackson Hole is as well. I dont think anyone is that scared.

I hope they repeat those shows, I missed them when they were on. I'm sure they dramatize them like they do with other shows like Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch, etc. Still, those are dangerous, stressful jobs.

The fact that people aren't scared of avalanches when skiing inbounds in LCC is really a testament as to how well those avi control crews know their shit.

I would think that highway 210 must give these people nightmares. When they open it after a storm, there's a mad rush of vehicles up that canyon. All it takes is one accident to bring traffic to a halt. With steep north and south facing slopes on either side of the road, a big slide while 210 is gridlocked could have some real nasty potential.

I don't know of any other place that has that much traffic funneling through such a narrow, avalanche prone canyon.

skisox34

Magic lifts don't break down anymore than any other resort. When i worked at killy we had to run a lift on evac motor 3 or 4 times a year. magic only had to do that once last year!

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
Magic lifts don't break down anymore than any other resort. When i worked at killy we had to run a lift on evac motor 3 or 4 times a year. magic only had to do that once last year!

FYI the chair was never evaced or run on backup power last season. It had one 20 minute down period and the mtn stayed open 1 hr longer that day to comensate.

neil

Magic is also 1 of the few that recognizes DST and extends their operations for more fun in the sun spring skiiing!

Yeah I took advantage of that last season. It's such a good idea, I don't know why more mountains don't do it.

twinplanx

ok VTsnowboarder, I see you are new here so I will give you a little education...:roll: I ment to put pitch-in and skin in quotations like so "pitch-in and skin". If you spend some time here in AZ land you will notice it's a fairly rugged bunch. Skinning is the way skiers earn there turns by stapping "skins" to the bottom of there skis to climb up the hill. Hence "pitch-in & skin". Anyway since you are a snowboarder I shoulda said get some snowshoes. :grin:

Another thing you might notice is that many AZers are smitten on Magic Mtn myself included. I would have never thought an area w/ one running lift would be so enjoyable had I not heard all the talk here on AZ. So please excuse me, if in my defense of Magic my words seem harsh.:blink:

Magic Rocks:flag:

Sorcerer

This is old news.....Dostals has been housing Stratton employees for years. When you own an inn you need revenue, preferably from paying guests, and Magic wasn't providing it. This thread is based on a new pic of an old story.

You are not quite right, unless you mean years is 2 going on 3 that Dostal's has been housing Stratton employees. Or, Dostal's thrived under Trudy Dostal, winter and summer, even during the years Magic was closed. Unfortunately Trudy got up in years and sold to a fellow from Boston who had his boxing friend run it into the ground. They brought in an undesirable element to say the least. So, yes it helps to have the mountain bring in guests but that's not the only reason that Dostal's is no longer Dostal's..

jrmagic

The Loose Mouse was the pub at the Inn at Magic which was bought out and renamed The Vermont Lodge. I was there this evening and there was a nice crowd. Am I missing something?

I don't think you are missing anything. Looks to me like someone is just looking for reasons to not like the mountain.

VTsnowboarder

jumping to conclusions. and that was a very wiki description of said loose moose. I have no ill harm towards the precious and god like mountain..."magic". you're thinking too hard. enjoy the snow