• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EPIC areas in Pennsylvania?

gittist

Since we'll probably be stuck skiing in Pennsylvania this year I've been trying to follow the 5 EPIC ski areas here. I've found that websites for all of them show the clock winding down the time to buy an EPIC pass. But, there's nothing about any of them opening, updates, and NONE of the webcams are 'available'. Makes me think they're not going to open this year. So much for keeping pass holders informed! Thanks Rob Katz! You're doing a great job.

Edd

You could try following the mountains on social media, if that’s your thing. That said, Wildcat posted to “stay tuned” for opening day on Instagram 19 hours ago.

gittist

Good idea. Two of the five had something recent on Facebook.

jimmywilson69

They will open. They just delayed the opening, to a TBD. Decent chance they might get something open by the weekend of the 19th. Who knows with this weather.

yes you can thank Katz for no flow of information.

gittist

Does anyone know if the EPIC areas in PA will have RFID readers this year or will you still need to have your season pass visible? There's sooooo much info on their website (or on Facebook)I couldn't find anything about it.

thebigo

What is the dynamic between the three vail areas in pa? Do they all serve their group of locals or are any of them differentiated?

In nh the four areas are actually fairly complimentary: Crotched - night skiing. Sunapee - Boston day trip. Attitash - slope side lodging in a ski town and lower elevation. Wildcat - the opposite of attitash still near a ski town with big vert.

jimmywilson69

There are 5 areas. 3 in southcentral PA and 2 in the Poconos. The 3 in southcentral PA are all independent functionally . In the Poconos jack frost is open during the day and Big boulder at night, or so I am told.

asnowmobiler

Jack Frost is going to open this Friday.
Jack Frost is only open during the day and for the most part Big Boulder is open day and for night skiing. BB has been geared toward being mostly a park, but this year it's going to be more for skiers. They are both just short little hills, JF is the nicer of the two but that's not saying much. That being said, I will be at JF Friday and Saturday because I don't have much of a choice.

Vince

Got to Crotched around noon Weds skied till 3:45. They did an excellent job grooming. Snow softened up real well. Rock hard on anything left ungroomed. I have not skied here much in the past. I think I like this over Wachusett for a 3 - 4 hour stint. I was able to park 30 yards from the lift. Ski on the whole time.
How are the weekday lines at the Wildcat HSQ? How about Burke upper HSQ on weekends?