• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ever ski Timberline, WV or Elk, PA?

skiberg

Often wondered about these two hills. They seem to be the best in each region with the most, or most consistent, snow and most consistent fall line skiing. Anyone have thoughts on these areas i might like to make a trip to ski them some day. How do they compare to good NE skiing?

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
Often wondered about these two hills. They seem to be the best in each region with the most, or most consistent, snow and most consistent fall line skiing. Anyone have thoughts on these areas i might like to make a trip to ski them some day. How do they compare to good NE skiing?

Did little "showing love" features on both that may help:

Timberline

http://www.skitheeast.net/posts/id/2124292611/showing-love-4-timberline-wv

Elk

http://www.skitheeast.net/posts/id/867570720/showing-love-1-elk-mountain-pa

JohnL

Season pass holder at T-Line the past five years (live outside of DC, grew up in CT, went to college in VT.) As to whether Timberline is worth a trip, depends upon how far you are driving. And what part of NE you are comparing them to? (MA and CT, very favorably<edit: if not superior>. Northern VT, NH or ME, fuggedaboutit.) Last year clearly sucked for the entire East, but the two years prior to that were epic. Basic stats: 1000 foot vert, legit 150-200 inches of snow a year, legit tree skiing (though some of the locals are starting to over thin some of the stashes, making them too accessible to too many), slooooooooooooooowest lifts known to man. Seriously, ~13 minutes to climb 1000 feet. I need to check some old posts, but one of the trails has a sustained 30-35 degree pitch. Some good tree shots on either side, so there is some OK challenge/practice, even for accomplished skiers. 1-2 runs left to bump up.

Caanan Valley, two ridges over from Timberline, has some very nice low-angle stashes.

Never been to Elk, but here is the skinny from several who have. Plenty of bump runs, many say the trails ski bigger than those at T-Line, but tree skiing is strictly forbidden (they'll pull yer pass.) So, to me, I'd have to say T-Line skis bigger, since on a good winter, I can ski a run with 900 foot of the 1000 foot of vertical in the trees. YMMV.

Would I travel the same distance to any of these areas than I would to VT, NH or ME? Nope. But T-Line is 3 hours away for me, and southern VT (much less MRG) is a good 8 or so.

Last edited:

JohnL

Also, if you are skiing down here in the Mid Atlantic, when the natural snow is good, Blue Knob in PA is a rockin' little area. Conditions can be variable, but some pretty challenging trails, even by VT standards. Tree skiing can be sketchy due to over logging, which has caused serious erosion and a very rocky base.

JohnL

To further qualify the T-Line (and CV) tree skiing, you can get plenty of log jumps, stream jumps, tight trees, and bramble/scrub bashing as you see fit. And since the areas are not too big, they are pretty easy to find. If you ever make it down here, I'll gladly give you a tour.

JohnL

Some of the local boys skiing. First third is park n pipe stuff, middle Timberline (with none of the tight stashes revealed), third is mostly Whitegrass (earn yer turns). WG skiing at the end is on XC gear.

http://vimeo.com/19181835

glorth2

I skied Elk a couple years back on a day off with a buddy. First time I'd been there in a while. Boring to me. Yes it's big by PA standards but it's just big, wide, groomers and the place takes forever to get to. I'd rather do Sno Mt (formerly Montage) or Jack Frost if I was staying in NEPA.