• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

dblskifanatic

Probably My favorite run at Cannon, mix in few different endings and Id be good lapping it all day !!

Absolutely, my first experience with that run was with Puckit and Cannonball in fact Cannonball turned me on to Cannon because of the Veteran pass there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dblskifanatic

A run that absolutely makes me super happy is when a whole mountain has great spring snow and you can just go like bat out hell from the very top and take in the whole vertical. The actual trails don't really matter, I'm after the exhilaration of a long, full mountain run.

For instance, Sugarloaf from the top of Timberline, drop into White Nitro Extension - Boomgauer - Springboard down to the bottom of the Whiffletree lift. Or the same idea onto the west side of the mountain: Cinderhoe onto Tote Road or whatever other combination of trails down to bottom of the superquad. Just dance from one carved turn into another feeling the joy of riding the rail.
The same at Cannon - chase the tram and bag the full vert.

Gondola Line at Sugarloaf!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

nhskier1969

A run that absolutely makes me super happy is when a whole mountain has great spring snow and you can just go like bat out hell from the very top and take in the whole vertical. The actual trails don't really matter, I'm after the exhilaration of a long, full mountain run.

For instance, Sugarloaf from the top of Timberline, drop into White Nitro Extension - Boomgauer - Springboard down to the bottom of the Whiffletree lift. Or the same idea onto the west side of the mountain: Cinderhoe onto Tote Road or whatever other combination of trails down to bottom of the superquad. Just dance from one carved turn into another feeling the joy of riding the rail.
The same at Cannon - chase the tram and bag the full vert.

I haven't skied Sugarloaf in a few years, but I really like Upper Bubblecuffer to Lower Bubblecuffer at Sugarloaf. A real leg burner.

Bumpsis

I haven't skied Sugarloaf in a few years, but I really like Upper Bubblecuffer to Lower Bubblecuffer at Sugarloaf. A real leg burner.

Definitely one of the more intense mogul runs - classic old style NE ski trail, twisty and the double fall line on the L. Bubblecuffer always makes for interesting bump formation. This spring would have been just so awesome on slopes - really miss it

chuckstah

This thread is killing me. All of the above. Except for a few NY runs I've never been on. But I'm sure they're great as well [emoji4]

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Definitely one of the more intense mogul runs - classic old style NE ski trail, twisty and the double fall line on the L. Bubblecuffer always makes for interesting bump formation. This spring would have been just so awesome on slopes - really miss it

More Sugarloaf love. Sheerboom ...I like the entrance it's relatively narrow and has nice pitch with some drops around the lift poles.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe it's been mentioned already, but I always felt Double Bitter was one of the more overlooked great trails at Sugarloaf and certainly has a classic feel to it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Vail buys Smuggs there will be plenty of development at Spruce.
What makes you think that? It was a very long process as it was to get the land to build the golf course. Stowe had to give an equal amount of land to the state on the Mansfield side of the road. The local opposition to even more development will be fierce.

The idea that some sort of Stowe / Smuggs interconnect with a bunch more terrain development is pie in the sky. Not with the Long Trail, Sterling Pond natural area right there and most of the land being state forest.

Tonyr

What makes you think that? It was a very long process as it was to get the land to build the golf course. Stowe had to give an equal amount of land to the state on the Mansfield side of the road. The local opposition to even more development will be fierce.

The idea that some sort of Stowe / Smuggs interconnect with a bunch more terrain development is pie in the sky. Not with the Long Trail, Sterling Pond natural area right there and most of the land being state forest.

I was referring more to the interconnect than terrain development on Spruce. Linking the mountains alone cuts out a 45 minute drive and opens up a ton more terrain from the Stowe side. There were rumors that the owner of Smuggs was out visiting Vail's corporate offices this year before this shutdown happened. Who knows if that's true or not and if it was what effect would the shutdown have now on getting a deal done......

On another note, how smart does Win look selling Sugarbush at the absolute top of the market. I don't know him but from what I understand the timing/luck of the transaction could not have happened to a better person.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes, good timing for Win. I'm sure he has a heavy heart for what's happened since then though.

I wouldn't hold my breath on much of a chance at an Interconnect beyond what once existed. Again, you'd have to disrupt the Long trail and potentially Sterling Pond. The legal battles would go on for years.

kingslug

I was thinking of the area where Sterling runs. Its much colder over there at times than Some parts of Mansfield and has some potential.

jimk

Just reviewed this thread. It's like a walk down memory lane, but many of the runs were one-and-done for me. I've been to 12 ski areas in VT, 1 in MA, 7 in NH, and 4 in ME, but mostly only for 1-3 days each. When I make a first time or rare visit to a ski area I try to ski the "signature" runs, but sometimes things become a blur as I rush around trying to cover a lot of ground, especially if it's a short visit. It really helps if a get a local friend to show me around. Taking pictures also helps me remember different terrain.

Here are a few memorable trails that fit Killingtime's criteria:spread: "Got to the bottom and said to myself now this is a cool freaking trail."
These are the twisty-turny type as described by Smellytele: Antelope at MRG (like driving a classic sports car on a mountain road), FIS at Sugarbush (definitely gave me a "that was a cool run" moment), Polecat at Wildcat (one of my top green circle trails anywhere). It's been 20 years since I've been to Killington and on a quiet day I really enjoyed taking my young children all-the-way-down Great Eastern, especially since they grew up in the land of 500' vert/half-mile ski trails.

Wildcat, NH from a fun visit in April 2005:
wildcat nh.jpg

Muleskinner at Saddleback, ME was a crazy corkscrew of a trail and I guess Upper Galloping Goose at Black Mtn, NH is a similar, shorter trail.

Galloping Goose trail zig zags around the Black Mtn lift line in the background of this photo:
galloping goose black mtn nh.jpg

I know it's not exactly a trail, but first pass through Paradise Glade at MRG was an amazing eye-opener.
Paradise at MRG:
paradise mrg.JPG

Getting ready to take a spin down Antelope at MRG:
antelope trail mrg.jpg

One of my kids exploring Killington, Feb 2001 (the early digital camera that took this tiny image was about the size of a one pound carton of butter:smile:

killington 2001.jpg

Tonyr

Those are good memories that you have there Jim. I'm trying to do the same with my 9 yr old son!

Tony