• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

February 8th until.....uhhh.....whenever

BenedictGomez

Been watching this one for a while, and it's still there 3 days out.

As modeled it's a relatively light snow, but it lasts forever, so it adds up.

Here it is dropping out of Canada early Sunday....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_13.png

And here it is 6 hours later.....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_14.png

And then 6 hours after that.......

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_15.png

Then yet another six hours after that.....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png

Then.....well......I'm not going to post them all, but you get the picture.
Basically it starts snowing and doesn't stop for a really long time.

The net result would be something that looks like this early on Tuesday....

gfs_asnow_us_23.png

BenedictGomez

Most professional mets I've seen are poo-pooing this idea, though not with any real scientific reason, but simply because this sortof thing doesn't really ever happen, which is ironically a somewhat unscientific opinion, IMO.

catsup948

Euro is also showing this but for not as long. It would be nice for the GFS to stick with this and verify. Ratios with this would be much higher than 10 to 1! It's cold out there. 😀

BenedictGomez

Euro is also showing this but for not as long. It would be nice for the GFS to stick with this and verify. Ratios with this would be much higher than 10 to 1! It's cold out there. 

Haven't looked yet this morning, but every model was completely different last night, showing snow in some form, but with vastly different solutions, which is a bit odd for only 3.5 days out. I'm hoping that's good sign in that it maybe it's very complex and not easily digestible (yeah, I'll go with that logic, lol).

C-Rex

I'm heading up to a friends house in Springfield, VT tonight and staying all weekend. Might even get snowed in until Monday night or Tuesday. Darn. 20 min to Okemo, 20 to Magic, and 40 to Killington/Pico. I'm just a tad excited.

drjeff

Also interesting to see what the models do behind this event too. Starting to be some met geek rumblings of something that could rival the epic Valentines Day storm 5 years or so ago....

Love this weather pattern were in! :)

catsup948

Also interesting to see what the models do behind this event too. Starting to be some met geek rumblings of something that could rival the epic Valentines Day storm 5 years or so ago....

Love this weather pattern were in! :)

Big Rainer on the coastal plain that storm was! That would be a roof collapser right now.

TropicTundR

Love this guy.

[video]http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/train-of-storms-to-bring-unrel/41783093[/video]

Seriously, his name is Alex Sosnowski!, or is this a gag. I think he really dislikes skiers and sees this opportunity to mooch their emotions by predictng more pow pow (I kid).