• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

February look ahead

BenedictGomez

Well this stinks if true. From a southern met.

The period from FEB 10 to FEB 20 for the CONUS east of the Mississippi river... it looks QUIET & CALM with Temps either Normal or maybe 1-2 degrees above Normal

and not even a hint of ANY Significant winter storms . The over all pattern TURNS not just unfavorable for eastern US winter storms but downright HOSTILE . The development of the BIIIG Upper Low in the Gulf of Alaska alters the pattern over North America ina major way.

JDMRoma

Good Incentive to get out there and get it NOW while the gettins good

Savemeasammy

I just watched a video on accuweather, and the meteorologist talked about the potential for more storms on the 14th and 19th. Add that to today, and the possible storm this weekend, and it sounds pretty promising to me...! We deserve a good February after this sucky January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abominable

Looking at Wunderground for various locales in the Northeast, I'm seeing snow pretty much next Wed through Presidents' Day. Obviously tough to predict this far out, but at least no warm weather / rain on the horizon.

Smellytele

I just watched a video on accuweather, and the meteorologist talked about the potential for more storms on the 14th and 19th. Add that to today, and the possible storm this weekend, and it sounds pretty promising to me...! We deserve a good February after this sucky January.

Henry M is always talking about about big storms that half the time never come to be.

Savemeasammy

Henry M is always talking about about big storms that half the time never come to be.

True. But I still like getting my hopes up... "It's better to have loved and lost..." and all that... And sometimes they DO pan out. He does, however, seem to predict 27 out of every 10 storms that happen!

4aprice

Well this stinks if true. From a southern met.

Well it wasn't DT as I just checked his facebook page. JB has been showing a sea surface temperature profile from current and 1917 which was apparently quite the winter, they are virtually identical. Not the same set up as 11-12 where the upper low set up shop in the GOA. I could see a short break (while the west finally gets some) then another active period the end of February into March.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

There's another potential shot on goal for next week. Seven days out is an eternity, but this bears monitoring.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_168_0000.gif

BenedictGomez

Long-range models are hinting that a BLOW TORCH might be coming in just a few weeks.

Pray this doesnt happen.