• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Filling the time- what are you doing?

Cornhead

I'm on vacation this week, probably heading somewhere North to end my season. After that, mountain biking, canoeing, Rollerblading, and hiking, will fill my off season. I would like to loose some weight over the off season. I put on twenty pounds when we got flooded for the second time in five years. The pool at the local YMCA was closed for a month and a half after the flood, consequently I did not swim for a month and a half. It would have been tough to workout anyway. Work eight hours, clean up flood damage after that, then workout? Not likely. I think returning to a healthier diet will be the key to my sucess. At least I didn't put on any weight over the Winter, I usually do. My goal is to weigh 200lbs, or less, by the start of next season, I'm 240lbs now. I know what must be done, I went from 290 to 220 in about one year several years ago.

Sure hope next Winter is more "normal", and this year's weather isn't a trend.

snowmonster

I don't think this season is kaput -- yet. As far as I am concerned, I think I'll probably have two (or three) more weekends of lift-served. Then there's the earn-your-turns season. I hope to go into May, at least. The Gulf of Slides look like they're thinning but I'm pretty sure I can still get a good spring corn harvest from it. The hike in will be longer though but that's the name of the game at this time of year. As for what I plan to do now, I'm switching to a softer wax and will probably be hitting the gym more. After panting around UT last week, I need to up my endurance -- and work on arm strength for the inevitable surfing season.

prophet0426

Riding! Lots of riding. Actually never stopped over the winter, rode straight through. Even though the skiing was pretty bad this winter, the trails were in great shape. I had some of my best days on the bike during the winter months. Already started my weekly Thursday rides, and will be hitting Russell Mill in Chelmsford for some crunchy goodness linked together with Great Brook Farm for some flowy single track.

SkiFanE

Should be skiing until April 14/15, not done yet. Then I'll get the road bike out for weekend rides (too scared to do weekday eves in the burbs). Planning to sign up for a 'boot camp' fitness class...but it's like volunteering for torture so I'm dragging my feet...starts next week and I don't feel like doing pushups in wet 40* weather outside...but need to keep my ass moving or I'll be sorry.

SkiFanE

Riding! Lots of riding. Actually never stopped over the winter, rode straight through. Even though the skiing was pretty bad this winter, the trails were in great shape. I had some of my best days on the bike during the winter months. Already started my weekly Thursday rides, and will be hitting Russell Mill in Chelmsford for some crunchy goodness linked together with Great Brook Farm for some flowy single track.

I grew up around GBF...back then it was horse trails that led past my backyard..how times change lol.

avery

The short window between ski season and beach/boat season is going to be about home improvement projects for me and boat improvement projects for RocoJerry. And we cram in our family/friend visiting time in the in-between season. Add on some bachelor/ette parties, family bdays, weddings, and the spring fills up fast.

jrmagic

Already starting chasing the little white ball around. Also need to spend some time prepping the boat for the season in between my son's spring LAX travel schedule.

jaywbigred

Already got my tee times for next weekend. May walk 36 holes on Saturday, then watch my Buckeyes, then at least 18, maybe 27 on Sunday.

Wavewheeler

Hiking, kayaking, bicycling, camping and socializing. Doing maintenance on the cars. Already washed off the salt, spraypainted the underbody and swapped the doors on the Jeep. Now to change the oil and spark plugs and do a wax job as well.

Had the top down and doors off this past week when I went up to the Catskillls to go hiking. But now it's cold and windy again. I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind! :-x

Last edited:

Terry

I'm busy this week waxing and getting gear ready to go skiing again this weekend. It ain't over yet folks! Hopefully another two or three weekends at least. Then it is on to yard work, firewood, painting the house, finishing the kitchen remodel, hiking, 4 wheeling, grillin, and beer drinking!

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Already got some hiking in. Plan to do lots more hiking and some backpacking. Unfortunately in the middle of Maine I won't be able to get the mt bike out for a while due to mud but that will come eventually. Some days on the lakes and rivers kayaking. Probably get at least one outing on the Dead River on a raft trip. Several car camping trips up to Moosehead Lake with the kayaks. Some runs to fill in the gaps between all that. We are doing a summer trip to Colorado. If that doesn't keep me busy. I'll fill in with more of the above.

jrmagic

Already got my tee times for next weekend. May walk 36 holes on Saturday, then watch my Buckeyes, then at least 18, maybe 27 on Sunday.

Sounds like fun!
You're recently married right?? wait until you ahve kids you will never be able to maintain that schedule plus you'll add at least 3 shots to your handicap:razz: