• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

TyWebb

IMG_5111.jpeg
This is sillyness...

View attachment 62195
No other models have it. But you never know.

GFS has a crusher next week. But this morning it had a bullseye of...51 inches. Where? Providence. Good luck figuring that model out over the next 5 days

Did u say silliness - this is the GFS you mentioned for next Wed -> Fri. 20+ in NH and Vt 30+ in Maine

BenedictGomez

GFS has a crusher next week. But this morning it had a bullseye of...51 inches. Where? Providence.

Well the good news is one of the GFS' known winter storm biases is placing the event too far south. The bad news is another bias is coming in a bit too cold.

The combination of these two biases helps explain why the Pocono mountains often get this treatment:

1711646529516.png

Last edited:

slatham

At this time fame you need to use all the models, and especially the ensembles, to get a SENSE of what might happen, the players involved, the trends in the models, their biases, etc. And read the NWS discussions from BTV, Albany and Grey. The last thing you look at is the model produced snow output (other than the ensemble panels).

Serious potential, lots of details to be worked out.

ColdRain&Snow

Using my last 2 killington days next week, planning tues/wed, looking like a lot of snow tues night and wed. Probably spring skiing at Stratton/Kill Monday Tuesday, and do overs with new snow Wednesday Thursday.

MidnightJester

Its now going well into the Late SNOW season here in the Northeast and at "Week 22" the Conditions in the Northeast and Vermont have improved into this season's near-best Season form in April : ) Thanks to last weekends (20"-30") of new SNOW. Amazingly here comes another possible SNOW boost Next mid-week so if you want the SNOW Grab it if you can since spring is here. These are considered lift serviced trails at some of the open ski mountains on Friday 3/29/24. Hike to your delight for more trail fun. Ski and Board the Snow while its still pretty good and still around!!
Thank you "ULLR" and "Mother Nature" just keep Partying like its winter!!

~~~~Northeast Shoutout~~~~
(Week 22) Friday 3/29/24 (open trail counts)

Mount Snow, VT -- 53/86

Stratton, VT -- 79/99

Magic Mountain, VT -- 39/50

Okemo, VT -- 116/129

Killington Resort, VT -- 98/155

Sugarbush, VT -- 70/111

Bolton Valley, VT -- 52/71

Stowe, VT -- 98/127

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 59/78

Jay Peak, VT -- 75/81 (They have all the SNOW goods still)

--------------------------------------------

Belleayre, NY -- 51/61

Gore Mountain, NY -- 47/110

Hunter Mountain, NY -- 25/66

Windham, NY -- 25/54

Whiteface Mountain, NY -- 58/94

------------------------------------------

Sunday River, ME -- 134/139

Sugarloaf, ME -- 159/170

Saddleback, ME -- 25/68

-------------------------------------------

Wildcat ,NH -- 42/48 (Wow)

Attitash, NH -- 62/76

Loon Mountain, NH -- 41/73

Mount Sunapee, NH -- 49/67

Cannon, NH -- 75/97

Bretton Woods, NH -- 72/98

---------------West Coast---------------

Breckenridge, CO -- 187/187 (Fully Open)

Vail, CO -- 277/278

Aspen Snowmass, CO -- 357/366 (4-mountains)

Winter Park Resort, -- CO 159/171

Beaver Creek, CO -- 150/150 (Fully Open)

Keystone Resort, CO -- 130/143

Steamboat, CO -- 181/181 (Fully Open)

Telluride, CO -- 147/147 (Fully Open)

Arapahoe Basin, CO -- 142/145

Loveland, CO -- 93/94

Wolf Creek, CO -- 144/144 (Fully Open)

----------------------------------------

Mammoth Mountain, CA -- 130/175

----------Lake Tahoe CA,NV---------

Kirkwood, CA --78/79

Northstar California, CA --100/100

Palisades Tahoe, CA -- 220/270

Heavenly CA,NV -- 90/114

Mt. Rose - Ski Tahoe, NV -- 66/66

----------------------------------------

Solitude, UT -- 70/82

Park City, UT -- 329/346

Alta, UT -- 88/118

Deer Valley, UT -- 102/103

Snowbasin , UT -- 107/114

Snowbird, UT -- 128/140

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

I’m at saddleback. Solid 2-3” and snowing still. It’s dust on crust off the groom but they are way too conservative on terrain opening. Ducked into a glade and it was game on just be smart. Sugarloaf is mostly open. Oh well. Poachin

MidnightJester

I’m at saddleback. Solid 2-3” and snowing still. It’s dust on crust off the groom but they are way too conservative on terrain opening. Ducked into a glade and it was game on just be smart. Sugarloaf is mostly open. Oh well. Poachin
Glad you are getting some freshies. They are lacking on the want to open them today : ) Better for you. Will be interesting if they open them up for the weekend for the others lol. Do you notice a lack of Workers and Ski Patrol as if they are very noticeable unless they are needed.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

it’s good but everything lookers left of the Kennebago chair is like really off limits. Can’t really poach it gracefully at the top or bottom so a lot of the place is off limits and I know it shouldn’t be, because other stuff is skiing great. I assume lack of staff and lack of crowd equals lack of will to open it.

Loaf got the same amount of snow but a little wind worried about them tmrw. May audible to SR

MidnightJester

This is the Third day in a row of consistent Snow numbers on forecasts I have looked at for next weeks (4/3-4/4) storm system. If the COLD holds at elevation good things should happen. Still a few days for things to move some but I see really good snow numbers of 12" plus at many mountains
winterstormthreat.jpg

Screenshot (15).png
5:25 starts the Northeast

Last edited:

slatham

Models are certainly bullish on a storm, and with a block/-NOA in place, it promises to be a long duration event. Could be fun!

Zand

A lot of times these storms that seem to be well put together a week out end up going to shit at the last second (remember the February storm this year?) so we shall see how this goes. Since 200k people are expected to travel to Vermont alone next weekend nevermind the rest of NNE, I expect this storm to overperform and really make it interesting up there.

KustyTheKlown

Ya kind of baffling honesty compared to what I am used to at sugarbush, jay, even k. But whatever I ducked ropes all day and was lapping fresh powder til deep in the afternoon. Just couldn’t really discretely poach stuff to lookers left of the kennebago. Awesome mountain I’ll be back.

Also just went into a dispensary that I didn’t realize was medical and the cute girl working and listening to ween set me up with a California medical card for $40 on some website. California doesn’t require residency and Maine recognizes all states patients. I just went shopping bigly

Zand

Weird that they had stuff closed like that. They've had very thin or nonexistent-coverage trails open when I've been there as seen below. Sucks that you apparently missed out on Casablanca but good reason to go back next year. Still a lot of fun glades closer to the chair.

Screenshot_20240329-190217.png

I've found that I prefer Saddleback to Sugarloaf. I think with really good snow that the Loaf ultimately has better terrain, but really good snow can be hard to come by there, and when the snow is just okay then a lot of the good stuff is just grizzly. Both times I've been to Saddleback were during Loaf trips and it was night and day how much better the snow was at Saddleback those days.

KustyTheKlown

Weird that they had stuff closed like that. They've had very thin or nonexistent-coverage trails open when I've been there as seen below. Sucks that you apparently missed out on Casablanca but good reason to go back next year. Still a lot of fun glades closer to the chair.

View attachment 62211

I've found that I prefer Saddleback to Sugarloaf. I think with really good snow that the Loaf ultimately has better terrain, but really good snow can be hard to come by there, and when the snow is just okay then a lot of the good stuff is just grizzly. Both times I've been to Saddleback were during Loaf trips and it was night and day how much better the snow was at Saddleback those days.

the steepest headwall was the surface of the moon but once the pitch mellowed a little and if you just used common sense it was smooth wind drifted pow. i think it was staffing/laziness. whatever tho i had a great day. and yea. no casablanca, but everything i could possibly access on the accessible side of the chair.

was gonna loaf tomorrow but the wind and temps dont sound good. sunday river. donny peletier is there for some event. should be fun.

just had a guinness and a lobster roll and my check was $22. i like maine

IMG_7273.png

IMG_7269.jpeg

Last edited:

parahelia

the steepest headwall was the surface of the moon but once the pitch mellowed a little and if you just used common sense it was smooth wind drifted pow. i think it was staffing/laziness. whatever tho i had a great day. and yea. no casablanca, but everything i could possibly access on the accessible side of the chair.

was gonna loaf tomorrow but the wind and temps dont sound good. sunday river. donny peletier is there for some event. should be fun.

just had a guinness and a lobster roll and my check was $22. i like maine

View attachment 62212

View attachment 62213
Wind are likely to be bad at SR on Sat too. Most upper mountain lifts were down today and the wind is if anything getting stronger. Not sure how Bust and Burn will go if White Heat stays offline - maybe they’ll run the competitors up on snowmobile?

That said, the new Barker and Jordan have been great with the wind. Jordan ran as an island last Sunday morning until the weather let the other upper lifts open. I’ll probably schlep to the Jordan lot Sat morning unless winds slacken.

kingslug

Stuck in aspen for 2 more days...watching the snow pounding down last night at happy hour...i knew it.
Now our group of 40...just woke up to this.
But hey..not a bad place to get stuck at. Over 40 inches so far and more coming.20240326_132937.jpg

KustyTheKlown

Wind are likely to be bad at SR on Sat too. Most upper mountain lifts were down today and the wind is if anything getting stronger. Not sure how Bust and Burn will go if White Heat stays offline - maybe they’ll run the competitors up on snowmobile?

That said, the new Barker and Jordan have been great with the wind. Jordan ran as an island last Sunday morning until the weather let the other upper lifts open. I’ll probably schlep to the Jordan lot Sat morning unless winds slacken.

Yup. Im doin coffee and cannabis time in the car at the base of SR, Winds are fierce all across northern New England. Just did a sweep of all the main websites and the most skiing I could reasonably do right now is the kanc8 at loon. Even Sugarbush seems fucked. Killington seems mostly open but no way I’m driving 3+ hours to burn a K day today. Gonna hang out and wait it out at the river, hoping to watch the burn later. Luxury problems and I stole myself a powder Friday yesterday so it’s all good. Saddleback is t-bar only today. I am so glad I went yesterday I’ve been chasing a visit for many years.

Slug good for you!

Last edited:

cdskier

Yup. Im doin coffee and cannabis time in the car at the base of SR, Winds are fierce all across northern New England. Just did a sweep of all the main websites and the most skiing I could reasonably do right now is the kanc8 at loon. Even Sugarbush seems fucked. Killington seems mostly open but no way I’m driving 3+ hours to burn a K day today. Gonna hang out and wait it out at the river, hoping to watch the burn later. Luxury problems and I stole myself a powder Friday yesterday so it’s all good. Saddleback is t-bar only today. I am so glad I went yesterday I’ve been chasing a visit for many years.

Slug good for you!

Eh? I'm not skiing today, but only Summit at ME was on windhold this morning when I woke up and that's all that is on hold now. Maybe I missed something in between though that went on and off hold already. Skimming quickly through the webcam history looks like CR might have been delayed, but not sure if that was wind or something else. (Open now though). Not seeing any other notable holds at Sugarbush.