• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Time Ski Area Visits - visitied this year or planned

xwhaler

The snow report says all 4 lifts ran today. So it looks like the backside is open midweek.

Thanks, I did notice this as well. Our planned day for Middlebury is at the end of a 3 day MRV trip so we would be there Monday March 16.
Hoping they still have the business that time of yr to justify running the lift on the backside.
I know Mondays are traditionally very slow for ski areas.

jonhere

Trailboss.... I'm surprised that Solitude isn't in your regular rotation, but I can't argue your other 3. I'm assuming you've tried Powder Mountain if you've been to Wolf?

So Far this year I hit Jay Peak for the first time. I'm tossing around the idea of trying Alyeska this spring. Other than that I'd like to ski more of BC and Alberta....Revelstoke, Red Mountain, Banff, lake Louise, Fernie are in the mix for the last resorts I want to hit for the first time this year. Hopefully I can knock a few of those of the list.

The only problem is it's just so easy flying into SLC and Jackson. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss.... I'm surprised that Solitude isn't in your regular rotation, but I can't argue your other 3. I'm assuming you've tried Powder Mountain if you've been to Wolf?

I have an Alta/Snowbird Pass and that has free days at Deer Valley. Considering the price for that pass, you can understand why I am staying with those three for this season. Also last season despite having a Snowbird Pass, life and circumstances allowed me to venture to many different areas, so this season I am content with just staying put.

That said, I have not made it to Pow Mow. It is on the list.

Solitude: I skied there on opening weekend so I did not get to see it all. I've hiked around there a couple times. To me it just seems meh because of the weird layout. I hear that the backside is killer....even if it requires at least three lift rides to ski it. Deer Valley now owns it so perhaps next season I will have free days there to use. :)

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I have skied 29 places in the east (31 if you count the same mountain renamed under new ownership as two separate places).
Add Western skiing and that grows by 7 to 36/38.
May add one to it this year: Big Bear at Masthope (could take the kids there as we could go free with the PA Ski and Ride cards I got).

Also been to two cross country only places

chuckstah

Just back from my first time ever at Middlebury Snow Bowl and all I can say is WOW! I was totally surprised by the size and variety of terrain. It didn't hurt that I was still getting fresh tracks after 3PM today. Lots of steeps and drops as well as open boundaries in trees. Definitely will return.

I also skied Middlebury yesterday for the first time. No one on the lifts and entire trails alone. Fresh tracks all day in out of the way places and in the trees. All lifts, trails and glades were listed as open. Will certainly return.
Gore, Whiteface and Hickory are on the wish list this year. Also never been to Bromley, maybe hit a spring day there.

fahz

Have tickets & plans to ski both Mad River Glenn & Bolton Valley for the 1st time this year. 22 different places I think

darent

we are going to Saddleback in february for the first time. read a lot of nice things about it on this forum so we are going to spend the weekend before moving on to Sugarloaf for the week.

Smellytele

we are going to Saddleback in february for the first time. read a lot of nice things about it on this forum so we are going to spend the weekend before moving on to Sugarloaf for the week.

Great plan. the woods are great at Saddleback. Have a grilled cheese at the yurt.

Sorry for delayed response, but...been out enjoying the skiing in MRV. Yes, MSB was wide open, no-one there and surprising light dry snow. Reminded me of Utah powder most of the day when I hit untracked. I guess I expected a smaller mountain, but instead found a small gem. Definitely go! Nice varied terrain with surprisingly true NE type of runs.

steamboat1

Not to many new places left for me to hit in the east. Searched an old thread where I listed the areas I've skied in the east. Counted 65 with a lot of them now NELSAP. If you count western areas the total is 105.

medfordmike

Mad River Glen, Bolton, and Bromley were on my list for the season. I hit MRG today and it looks like I will now meet some folks at Bromley in February for a day. Hoping to still get a day in at Bolton this season.

bdfreetuna

Only new ones I'll be going to are Saddleback (March 30, 31) and Sugarloaf (April 1, 2)

If the snow holds out that should be epic.

mriceyman

Hit pico already. Hitting magic and bromley in mid feb for first time

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xlr8r

Just booked a 4 day trip to Winter Park in late March. Its been 8 years since I have been out west, and never to WP. Also trying to hit Magic for the first time this year when they get good snow.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Hadn't been to Burke since the 80s but finally made it back there last month and hopefully a couple more times this season. Also going to Sunapee first time ever next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

fahz

23 made Mad River Glen on MLK was fun I'd go back tomorrow if I could. Bolton Valley is still on this years hit list