• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Trip Report - Bradbury Mountain

BackLoafRiver

So, this being my first TR, it could either suck or be readable. You decide.

I had been hearing about this place ever since I got my bike. I went once last week but everything single track was closed due to water. And lots of it. (side note, I accidentally ended up on a closed section last week and I see why it wasn't open...the whole trail was submerged as far as the eye could see)

Anyway, here is the link for you to check it out...http://www.bradburymountain.com/

Arrived at the mountain at 12:00. Was unloaded and riding by 12:15. The park is divided into two sections; the West side which has some bikeable stuff but is more geared to family hiking to the top of its whopping 500' summit (insert sarcasm) and the East Side which is geared to MTB.

Started out with the Link Trail heading East. Didn't give myself much of a warm up. About 5 minutes in, you can hook up with Fox for a bit. Seemed short enough that I wouldn't get into too much trouble. It was also my first foray into the single track stuff.

Conditions were fairly good although there were some spots I had to walk it. (some pretty tight rock stuff and a lot of deep deep mud) Saw three other bikers on it. I waited as they passed and they were able to make it through without too much issue)

Connected up with Link again and rode it to Knights Woods. Several wood bridges here wide enough so I didnt kill myself. Thumbs up.

Arrived back at the trail head, looked at the map, and decided to give Lanzo a shot.

My confidence had gotten the better of me.

Lanzo was pretty great at the start. Tight trail, roots and rocks but nothing unpassable. Had to walk over 2 rock formations. Trail was lined with logs which was cool. At one point, I must have been looking too far ahead, my front tire caught one of the logs. It was wet, my tire slid, and I fell. Hard. Only damage was to my pride.

The signage at Bradbury is pretty great for the most part. However, when some of the trails merge, there was no indication on which way was which. Kept going on Lanzo which eventually became Ragan.

Ragan is tough. Almost over my head. Some sections were intense. Deep mud compounded the issue. My idiocy didn't help either. It was slow going but I made it through almost unscathed. Some tight turns, and gradual ascents were good. Several narrow wood bridges gave a nice change of pace. At one point, the trail links with some terrain park obstacles which you can go around. Very helpful. Tried to get pictures but didn't want to stop and unpack the sack.

The signs were unhelpful later (read, there were none) as Ragan connects with Ginn and a few others. Picked a trail, which would turn out to be the snowmobile trail, until it connected with Ginn.

Ginn was great. More of the same stuff but very fun. Shoulda grabbed it from the top. No major issues here. A few spots that were submerged so I couldnt bike them.

Connected with the Fox West. My legs were on fire at this point. Fox was super tough. Lots of tight rock stuff that I couldn't do and some really really long wood plank stuff. Again, had to walk it. When I could ride it, it was pretty great. Eventually it leads to a very rooty and rocky climb. Made it 5 feet...then fell. Ugh. Last 20 minutes of actual riding on trail were good.

Finished the day with a lap around Knights Woods. More of a "confidence rebuilder" than anything.

Total time on the bike, 2 hours. I was covered, head to toe, in mud and sweat. I am sure I smelled awesome. My ride was also messy as hell. Bradbury provides a bike wash station. Very helpful.

Not sure if the "gnarliest" of riders would find stuff there. Pretty sure there is something for everyone. Great introduction to "true" mountain biking.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Good. TR.
PS, Not to sound like a dick, but you should not ride in Mud. I understand that you will see alot of people do it, but it is the equivalent of side slipping a tree run in a powder day.
Sounds like a nice park!

Greg

Staff member
Great to see TRs from other areas. But yeah, stay away from the muddy trails as much as possible. Classic newbie mistake so don't beat yourself up over it. However, there is a stigma that mountain biking is very damaging to trails and other users of a given area often look down on MTBers. If you ride through and rut out a muddy area, you're validating that stigma. Probably not as much of a concern in NNE since it's my guess there is less trail traffic (both MTB and otherwise) than there is down here, not to mention much more area. But here in CT, the number of riding areas is already pretty minimal so we don't want to draw attention to ourselves if possible. MTB tire ruts are obvious and don't help our cause. If you ride when the trails are dry, or areas that drain well and are not prone to being muddy, your impact on the trails is minimal. If you come across a muddy section, walk the bike.

BackLoafRiver

Yeah, I hope I didn't come across as proud of going through the mud. I tried really hard to avoid it. I had read a lot about the damaging effects of riding on a muddy trail. (and Bradbury is pretty good at monitoring use and restricting it if the conditions are gross)

Btw - loved the tree skiing analogy :)