• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First?

Edd

I'll never understand why people stand in a line like that to see a 700' vertical WROD in October and then no one skis in April when it's 100% open and sunny and warm.
I used to be 100% down for it when I was a Sunday River homer, but I guess I realized it wasn’t worth the hassle for me. Spring is much more worth my time.

Zand

I used to be 100% down for it when I was a Sunday River homer, but I guess I realized it wasn’t worth the hassle for me. Spring is much more worth my time.
I mean...I don't hate it on a weekday if you can lap the WROD for a couple hours without conditions going to shit within 30 minutes. I've certainly had fun weekdays on T2 and Rime in October. But just like I don't understand the all the people that flood into Killington on a Saturday in early November to wait 30 minutes for Rime laps, I don't get the people in the above picture either lol.

Smellytele

I have done the killington open for the unwashed a few times.,just have to set expectations low bring a few beers to stash at the top of the lift and chill. Now with the quad it is better.

thebigo

I like skiing be it WROD in the fall or hiking in the summer.

Models show a number of snow making opportunities next weekend into the early week. Would guess the usual early season players offer October turns this year.

djd66

From today,… looks pretty awesome!

Attachments

• 7CD0EE49-3116-4204-AEDF-0F39B396F44B.jpeg
    7CD0EE49-3116-4204-AEDF-0F39B396F44B.jpeg
    909.8 KB · Views: 31

FBGM

I'll never understand why people stand in a line like that to see a 700' vertical WROD in October and then no one skis in April when it's 100% open and sunny and warm.
This is why I wish the “normal ski season” was Christmas to April. But never gonna happen.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I'll ski from first day I can to last. But not Connally go as far as Killington of A-Basin from NJ for that.

Last year I drove the 2.5 hrs to Hunter for one TTB trail in Nov, with an Epic pass so it cost me no $ other than travel and it beat not skiing.

drjeff

God willing, someday when you have kids, who more than likely are involved in youth Spring sports, it will logistically (still not logically) make more sense!!

Kingslug20

They havent skied in a while..by the end of the season they are done and ready for something else.

NYDB

They havent skied in a while..by the end of the season they are done and ready for something else.

Right. I mean don't you guys have any other hobbies?

Same applies to Cycling/MTB for me, Fishing, Golf, going to the beach.

All will be done in marginal conditions in the spring/early summer and be fully stoked. By now, I need to really motivate to do any of the above even though right now is usually the best weather conditions for most of the above.

I'm planning on the easter break to hit A-Basin for the first time. I'm half guessing by the time i'm ready to book the trip, I may be burnt out on snow riding already this winter and be more stoked on a MTB trip to Moab or AZ or something.

People got other shit to do.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think people have unrealistic expectations for how good the skiing is in most Aprils in the East. Yes, there are typically several great sunny days with lots of terrain open. Yes, you can still get powder days too But there are also numerous rainy days or days after rain that hit maybe 40 at the base and the snow isn't all that much better than early season WROD.

Some of those days, it's 50-60 in the flatlands, so people focus on other hobbies, yard work etc. Kids teams sports also get in the way for families.

Ski season in the East really is mid-December to Mid-March for 90+% of the clientele.

I see the same thing with boating season. It's far busier in May and June than it is in September and October, even though the water is best in September out of all of those months. Saturday the lake was deserted. But, it was 65, decently sunny over much of Winnipesaukee and the foliage was great. A similar day in May would have had triple the traffic.

Kingslug20

And if you have been driving up every weekend..your shot by the end of March..I know I am.

slatham

Killington is making snow on the North Ridge cam!

They'll probably be able to go all day and night into tomorrow AM. Then it's waiting til next weekend when a strong cold front comes through.
Forecasted temps at the summit are mid 30's today. Its 34 on Mansfield at 9am. This is not a productive window at all. More a test. Maybe next weekend.