• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First?

BenedictGomez

I'll never understand why people stand in a line like that to see a 700' vertical WROD in October and then no one skis in April when it's 100% open and sunny and warm.

Nor I, to each his/her own, but that looks like the opposite of fun to me.

BenedictGomez

I'm planning on the easter break to hit A-Basin for the first time. I'm half guessing by the time i'm ready to book the trip, I may be burnt out on snow riding already this winter and be more stoked on a MTB trip to Moab or AZ or something.

I've done Easter at A-Basin; it's fantastic and you wont regret it. There will still be a ton of snow in April, good chances for storms, and not a single person in that WROD pic will be there.

jimmywilson69

'Cause if you ain't first, you're last! -RB
200.gif

Kingslug20

Wouldn't you be less "shot" if you delay your start by a couple weeks? Maybe you can keep going a couple weeks later?
Nah..I actualy like hitting the WROD early on...get in 500000000 laps..good way to get back in ski shape. Rather than what some people do..go out west first thing and break their legs..then wonder why...but I biked all season...what happened??

Mum skier

I'll never understand why people stand in a line like that to see a 700' vertical WROD in October and then no one skis in April when it's 100% open and sunny and warm.
I try to say I have skied “6 months of the year”. So no matter how few runs are open have to get a day in November (failed last year). And have to get a day in April (Covid fail the year before)
We often go for a half day Wachussetts opening weekend, even if it’s only a couple runs. Allows us to shake off the cobwebs, check the kids lease equipment and see what other things they have outgrown. Then if we have paid for a couple nights somewhere at thanksgiving we know everything will be working.
If something close were open in October I would go just to say I had skied in October!

Kingslug20

I started at Gore WROD 12-6...ended at K in the big storm 4-17...my biggest season to date.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I try to say I have skied “6 months of the year”. So no matter how few runs are open have to get a day in November (failed last year). And have to get a day in April (Covid fail the year before)
We often go for a half day Wachussetts opening weekend, even if it’s only a couple runs. Allows us to shake off the cobwebs, check the kids lease equipment and see what other things they have outgrown. Then if we have paid for a couple nights somewhere at thanksgiving we know everything will be working.
If something close were open in October I would go just to say I had skied in October!
Yeah I believe I have hit Nov through April every year since at least 2012-2013 with exception of pretty much nobody skiing via lifts in the US in April 2019

abc

but I biked all season...what happened??
Do you bike as hard as you ski?

I took a break from skiing for several years because I was very much into cycling. When I got back on snow, my legs were stronger than ever before!

Since then, as long as I kept up with my cycling intensity through the summer and fall, my return to skiing had not been limited by my leg muscles. Of course I needed to get my balance and snow feel back. But that only takes a couple hours.

Kingslug20

I dont bike..just lift weights..a lot of people my age head out west in what they think is in good condition..and find out the hard way is not..

drjeff

Do you bike as hard as you ski?

I took a break from skiing for several years because I was very much into cycling. When I got back on snow, my legs were stronger than ever before!

Since then, as long as I kept up with my cycling intensity through the summer and fall, my return to skiing had not been limited by my leg muscles. Of course I needed to get my balance and snow feel back. But that only takes a couple hours.

100% agree!

Christmas 2019 just before COVID hit, my wife got me a Peloton bike. I had road cycled a bunch in the past, but had never taken a spin class before.

Probably with the "help" of COVID societal restrictions at the onset limiting the things I could do, I started taking LOTS of Peloton classes. BIG improvement in the leg strength/endurance last season (and I had always been doing a 5-6 day a week mix of cycling, walking and running prior to that). I'm now just under 1100 spin classes on our Peloton now and still look forward to getting on it basically every day, and definitely know my fitness and leg enduarnce in particular has improved since it arrived at my house