• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flags on the 48 - 2011 - The Ten Year Anniversary

SilentCal

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm Post subject: Flags on the 48 - 2011 - The Ten Year Anniversary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's that time of year again.

Flags on the 48 - 2011

Sunday, September 11th 2011

The Ten Year Anniversary.

http://flagsonthe48.org/

For those that are unaware, every year since 2002, normal everyday hikers from all over New England converge on the White Mountains of New Hampshire to raise flags atop all of the 4000 foot peaks. This event started as a challenge and it has now grown into a high mountain tribute to those lost on 9/11. Flags are flown at the summits from noon until 2:00 pm. We leave No Trace and take nothing but photographs.

Please note: The Event this year is on a SUNDAY. Usually it falls on a Saturday but because the 11th is on a Sunday this year, that is when it will take place. It will revert back to a Saturday in 2012.

Signups for this years event will commence on July 11th at 6:00 PM. Peaks usually go very quickly. Last year, I believe 36 were spoken for in the first half hour.

Three peaks provide non-hiker access to their summits. Cannon, Washington and Wildcat D. These are the only peaks that you can pre-register for. Please send me an email through the the Flags site or a PM through here if you are interested in those particular peaks.

Should you have any questions, please drop me line via e-mail or PM.

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated in the past to get us to year ten. It's hard to believe one solo Flag on Mt. Liberty spurred so much emotion, effort and friendship.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's a beautiful tribute. My wife lost a good friend of hers who was on the way to Hawaii on vacation with her boyfriend on 9/11 on United flight 175.

Lynn Goodchild

I'll make sure to tell her family about this, I don't know if they are aware of this or not.... thanks for posting!

SilentCal

Ironically, The Flags on the 48 website was originally a folder here on Alpinezone back in 2001-2003. It has since branched out to it's own website.

pedxing

Like Cal, I was one of the top posters in the early (quiet) years at AZ when three digit post totals were the mark of a very active poster. FOT48 is a great event and I'm looking to participate this year. Every time I've managed to get out for it, I've had a great time. I finished my 48 participating in the FOT48 in 2007. I definitely want to be there for the 10th anniversary.

Thanks to Cal for staying active in this.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wish I didn't have to go to a wedding that weekend. I lost my college roommate on 9/11. He was one of most people working for Cantor Fitzgerald who didn't make it. :(

This is a great event. Hopefully I can participate next year.

JimG.

Staff member
Like Cal, I was one of the top posters in the early (quiet) years at AZ when three digit post totals were the mark of a very active poster. FOT48 is a great event and I'm looking to participate this year. Every time I've managed to get out for it, I've had a great time. I finished my 48 participating in the FOT48 in 2007. I definitely want to be there for the 10th anniversary.

Thanks to Cal for staying active in this.

Another hiking forums poster who is missed. Please check in now and then.

Breeze

I've been working at the base of the MWAR since 2004. I've been able to see ( with binos) Washington, Adams, Madison, Carter and Wildcat D flags flying at the same time, given clear summit conditions. It is a very special, comforting and uplifting experience. A simple thank you doesn't seem the least bit adequate to convey my appreciation to those who perform this public witness in such a private manner, but I do thank each and everyone who participates.

Breeze

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm a believer in quality over quantity.

You and many others from the hiking forums are missed.

What, you mean 300 posts in the Word Association thread don't count :lol:

I'd love to work on getting hiking more active. I hope I can get out this year but they will mostly be local 2- 3 hour day trips in my local area... I'll make sure I post up pics when I go, but they won't be awesome overnight trips in New Hampshire :(

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've been working at the base of the MWAR since 2004. I've been able to see ( with binos) Washington, Adams, Madison, Carter and Wildcat D flags flying at the same time, given clear summit conditions. It is a very special, comforting and uplifting experience. A simple thank you doesn't seem the least bit adequate to convey my appreciation to those who perform this public witness in such a private manner, but I do thank each and everyone who participates.

Breeze

That's amazing Breeze - thanks. I'm going to see if I can try to participate, if there isn't a conflicting memorial event going on for my wife's friend.

Breeze

FOT48 will always be loved. That doesn't mean that other remembrances are ignored or devalued. Some folks find it meet and proper to fly their stars and stripes over the Androscoggin River Valley from Success Mt off the Hogan Rd ATV access and others from the Mahoosuc AT . They may or may not meet the 4000 ft mark, but the participation speaks to all of us.

Don't stop believing.

It is a truly amazing day. I can't join in the get'r done part but the gut feeling translates to OMG you've never felt so surrounded by the best of the best.

Breeze