• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fly or Road Trip it?

Trekchick

When you take a ski vacation, do you Fly or do you Embrace the Open Road?

We've had a habit of flying over the past few years, but this winter my husband got a wild bug up his butt to buy a "road trip vehicle"
We took our first trip in it in January which was a breeze. 20 ish hours from our house to my Sister In Laws house, which is 1 hr from Abasin.
With 4 adults, the drive time was split quite nicely. We all had space and sleep time. Results.........It was an awesome road trip!

I will still fly from time to time, but a road trip is definitely something that can be embraced!

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I lived where you do, I'd probably road trip it considering the savings and depending on the flights you get, skiing on flying days isn't always possible. From here in the East, it would be double the drive. Given the opportunity to head out west again, I will definitely be flying.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I pulled up Google Maps one time to estimate the drive time to do an east-west skiing road trip. Totally not worth it, even for those of us more inclined to do a road trip "just because". If your goal is skiing and not just road tripping, it would essentially stretch a one week vacation into a two week vacation with half the time spent on the road. Who knows how much new snow you might be missing while you are watching corn fly past your car for more than two days (assuming at least two drivers). Then you show up to your destination tired from the drive.

If I lived in Michigan, I am sure it might be much more tolerable. But it is nearly a full days drive just to get to the Mississippi from New England.

From PA fly and if I lived in MI I'd also fly..I wouldn't ever fly to VT though. There is a benefit to having the freedom to drive since you can leave when you want and don't have to deal with ground transportation.

Trekchick

Road trip times via google maps(as well as some personal experience) from my house to....
MT Bohemia - 9 hrs
Killington - 14 hrs
Denver - 19 hrs
Chicago - 4.5 hrs

Talisman

Road trip times via google maps(as well as some personal experience) from my house to....
Denver - 19 hrs

I would road trip it to CO if that was the case, my own ride, all my gear, perhaps a dog or cat, spices, coffee and good kitchen knives for when I arrive at the rental condo. I would probably have to pick up my skiing significant other at the Denver airport though.

From the East Coast we always fly for western ski vacations. Sking in PQ, VT, NH & ME is only a few hours drive though.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My grandparents used to have a huge motorhome and traveled all over the country in it...at 8mpg. :lol: I love the idea of a road trip in theory. According to googlemaps, it would take 30 hours to drive from CT to Frisco, CO. I'm assuming that's without stops. If you have kids in the car, you may as well consider that figure doubled; kids don't tolerate more than a couple hours at a time before needing a stop. Even trips to VT are challenging with them at only about 3 hours' drive time. Gas-wise, if you have a car that will average 20mpg and estimate gas at $2.30/gal (figuring in a little inflation/fluctuation in the coming weeks/months), it costs $222 each way to drive. But that's not figuring in wear and tear. And in the case of my truck (with no heat and an average of 13mpg plus infinite problems), a road trip would probably result in the demise of my vehicle.

Someday when the kids are grown, I would probably do it. I haven't really been off the East Coast other than a flight to Montana and another to Colorado--I have not seen much of this country and I would like to. (My brother has that wanderlust and has driven from CT to Chicago and Florida "just because"... I understand that.) But definitely not with a toddler and preschooler in tow nor with the vehicle I have presently. Cheaper overall to fly, and much faster.

However, if you want to take a road trip to Killington this season, I'll meet you up there! ;)

Warp Daddy

to ski in the Rockies : DEFINITELY fly - too long a drive, for several reasons RIV already mentioned

To ski in the East / Canada: -- Drive --- freedom from schedules and other screw ups that can occur when flying

drjeff

If I'm going to a non Northeast area, I'm on a plane to get there. If I was to drive out the to rockies for a ski fix, the drive time out/back would end up costing me ATLEAST 2 days(more likely 3 to 4) of hill time out West compared to taking the plane.

With Utah as my normal Western ski destination, as long as mother nature is cooperative, I can leave my house to head to the airport around 4AM and be on the hill skiing in Utah for a few hours that afternoon before the lifts close. Same thing heading home, I can get a few hours on the hill in during the AM and be sleeping in my bed at home (for a few hours atleast) that night - No way I could do that with the roughly 2000mile drive each way it would be for me

Sven Leonson

Our RV has an X box in it. Kids never ask "are we there yet" and never need to stop for the bathroom. We get between 15 and 20 mpg depending on whether me -15- or my wife -20- is driving.

Problem is, the Rialta plain sucks in snow. Front wheel drive and no traction (all the weight is in the back). Chains do wonders but can't go far or fast with those.

mondeo

Fly. More than probably 10 hours, fly. I'd be going by myself, so that much time in a car would just suck.

abc

Would amenities in the Road Trip Vehicle make a difference in your plans?
You're asking the wrong crowd! Ask on the Audi or Subaru forums. ;)

To me, a car is just a tool to get to the mountains. So "amenities" only matter if it gets me to the mountain faster! That amenity is call wings!!! :D

Drive time from NYC to Park City (the first stop that I have free lodging): 32 hours! Compare with flying time of less than 8 hr door to door. That leaves 24 hours which I can fit in a good day of skiing AND a good night of sleeping. And that's ONE WAY. So for a round trip, it's... you got it, TWO extra days of skiing!!! Or I forgot, that's assuming non-stop driving, of 32 hours! :-o

Say I'm doing a one week trip (8 1/2 days, Friday eve - Monday morning). Driving will waste 3-4 days on the road and left me with, well 4-5 days of skiing. :(

Flying?
- Leave Friday evening after work and land on SLC near midnight. Short drive to PC and crash around 2am. Up at 8 and hit the slope at 9...
- Ski 8 full days (Sat - following Sun),
- Quit at 4pm of Sunday. Shower, have dinner, a quick nap, then head for the airport around 8 or 9pm.
- Jump on the plane at mid-night for the redeye back to the east coast. Sleep another 4-5 of the 6 hour flight. Arrive at work fresh and alert at 9am!!!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sadly, my life no longer has opportunities for prolonged road trips. Another day of travel becomes another vacation day lost.

My wife has shaken all vestiges of in-transit adventure out of my system. For her, the objective of travel is getting there, not the journey. She's always timing how long it takes to get somewhere. When I travel alone, I like to explore. I stop a lot, check out the views, odd roadside attractions, make many diversions and even look at the hysterical markers. Bravo to those who have the time to do it.

As in most things in life, a compromise needs to be made. In this case, it's your money or your time.

Sadly, my life no longer has opportunities for prolonged road trips. Another day of travel becomes another vacation day lost.

My wife has shaken all vestiges of in-transit adventure out of my system. For her, the objective of travel is getting there, not the journey. She's always timing how long it takes to get somewhere. When I travel alone, I like to explore. I stop a lot, check out the views, odd roadside attractions, make many diversions and even look at the hysterical markers. Bravo to those who have the time to do it.

As in most things in life, a compromise needs to be made. In this case, it's your money or your time.

Wow..I'm psyched to get married..

drjeff

I am far too embarrassed at the ridiculous nature of my ride.
Nice? Yes
Needed? No, especially for DINKs

Found a pic of it ;)

Snow%20Cat.jpg