• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Folsom Custom ski stolen from Loon 2/5

gmcunni

<< crappy old equipment ftw

LOL.. as i've fallen out of love with my skis i've left them unattended more and more, but I still lock them for the most part. if they got swiped i'd be pissed that day but happy a week later when new ones showed up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As crazy as this may sound, a good friend of mine had his Folsom skis taken from Loon yesterday! His were a true powder ski with a different graphic on each ski. After hearing my story, he had them separated by 50 yards on the ski racks. Someone must be stalking the racks. If you saw him skiing on these things, you would swear he had two different skis on. Why Loon does not install security cameras is beyond me. We cannot be the only two that have lost skis there.

security cameras cost $$$. That cost gets passed on to the customer. Why should those who choose to be responsible for their own gear share in the expense of those who don't?

kconn

They are not shy with their ticket, food, etc prices. If they get a reputation that they are a hot bed for thieves, it will cost more than a few security cameras.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry, but the mountain has zero responsibility towards the security of your belongings.

Loon offers a complimentary ski check as is. If you choose not to use the ski check or lock your gear and it's gets stolen, you really can't place any blame on the mountain.

If a mountain has a reputation of being hot bed for theives, it wouldn't deter me from going there. I lock my gear.

If you go for a bike ride downtown and decide to get a bite to eat at a restaurant, do you leave your bike unlocked outside? Would you put some of the blame for your bike being stolen on the restaurant?

hammer

security cameras cost $$$. That cost gets passed on to the customer. Why should those who choose to be responsible for their own gear share in the expense of those who don't?
PCMR has security cameras at the ski racks in front of the lodge...didn't deter the thief who lifted my demo rentals...

eatskisleep

Still think even if the mountain itself did its own sting operations they could boost their image by getting rid of the people who would steal gear there. It's too bad that people steal in the first place, but why not put some deterrent to stop it? Locks can be cut easily, and as seen with bike locks (MasterLock) a ballpoint pen is good enough to break some of them.

Police could get a large fine out of grand larceny too, more than speeding tickets if they find a large group of people in on stealing.

Someone mentioned that it brings in more money for the local shops... that's great... if the people who had their stuff stolen can actually afford to ski.

On another note let's look at the numbers:
Let's say 10 people who plan on skiing Loon 5 more times this season get their stuff stolen one weekend. One day ticket is $76, so that would be $3,800 that the mountain would lose if the customers decides not to ski there anymore. Not to mention, the bad PR a mountain gets online and the fact that they will probably not bring their friends there to ski next time they do decide to ski again. SO let's say those 10 people all ski with a friend or significant other, thats $7,600+ the mountain would lose (don't forget the expensive mountain food!)

So, if theft is a major problem at a resort, I do believe it is cost effective to either install cameras to attempt to deter, or better yet, set up a sting operation, until word gets out that Resort A is not the place to go if you want to steal skis. Not to mention, if a few of these guys get arrested, maybe some of the others planning to do so will think twice.

gmcunni

On another note let's look at the numbers:
Let's say 10 people who plan on skiing Loon 5 more times this season get their stuff stolen one weekend. One day ticket is $76, so that would be $3,800 that the mountain would lose if the customers decides not to ski there anymore. Not to mention, the bad PR a mountain gets online and the fact that they will probably not bring their friends there to ski next time they do decide to ski again. SO let's say those 10 people all ski with a friend or significant other, thats $7,600+ the mountain would lose (don't forget the expensive mountain food!)

i may not be typical but if i got my stuff stolen it wouldn't curtail my ski days. i'd rent or acquire new ones, not skip skiing.

eatskisleep

i may not be typical but if i got my stuff stolen it wouldn't curtail my ski days. i'd rent or acquire new ones, not skip skiing.

True, but a lot of us don't have the extra cash in this economy. And even if they do ski again, it probably will be elsewhere; one bad experience can turn someone away for some time from a mountain.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
As crazy as this may sound, a good friend of mine had his Folsom skis taken from Loon yesterday! His were a true powder ski with a different graphic on each ski. After hearing my story, he had them separated by 50 yards on the ski racks. Someone must be stalking the racks. If you saw him skiing on these things, you would swear he had two different skis on. Why Loon does not install security cameras is beyond me. We cannot be the only two that have lost skis there.

I don't think it's Loon's responsibility to make sure your skis are safe

Sorry, but the mountain has zero responsibility towards the security of your belongings.

Loon offers a complimentary ski check as is. If you choose not to use the ski check or lock your gear and it's gets stolen, you really can't place any blame on the mountain.

If a mountain has a reputation of being hot bed for theives, it wouldn't deter me from going there. I lock my gear.

If you go for a bike ride downtown and decide to get a bite to eat at a restaurant, do you leave your bike unlocked outside? Would you put some of the blame for your bike being stolen on the restaurant?

Sorry, but I gotta say your friend had it coming. If one of my ski buddies told me how he got robbed at Loon (or anywhere else), and I valued my skis (which I do), I'd lock them or use the free ski check.

There's no way it's more convenient, easier, or less of a hassle to separate skies by 150 feet. And what good would security cameras do? I often wear a full face balaclava when I'm up north.

o3jeff

What would cameras have done, just confirmed the guy in the gray helmet and face mask with the old North Face jacket grabbed them? I'm sure these guys are pretty bundled up in their old ski stuff so they don't get recognized easily.

gmcunni

last i checked most convenience stores and banks have cameras . . . .

bottom line thieves suck! leave your valuables just laying around and eventually somebody with low moral values will take them. separate or lock them and you will deter the casual thief. a determined thief will probably get what he is looking for.

deadheadskier

Staff member

yes, but that's to protect theft of their own property.

I don't think a convenience store owner is going to care all that much if you leave your bike unlocked outside and it gets stolen. A police detective would get to review the tapes for sure, but as others have mentioned, it's kind of hard to get a positive ID on a theif in ski attire.

Bottomline is a set of custom Folsom skis cost $1200. That's without bindings. Why someone who invests that kind of coin in their gear can't trouble themselves with using a lock or a complimentary ski check and then puts part of the blame on the mountain is beyond me.

maybe I'll eat crow someday and my locked skis will get ripped. At least I know I made a reasonable effort to secure my belongings.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Blue Mountain has security cameras on the ski racks, but the only people who really use them are renters and that guy still rocking his 1985 210cm K2 TRC Comps.

From what I've heard, Blue used to have a real problem with ski thefts. Over the past few seasons, they've really expanded their complementary ski check program and I can't recall the last time I've heard about stolen equipment on the mountain.

hammer

Bottomline is a set of custom Folsom skis cost $1200. That's without bindings. Why someone who invests that kind of coin in their gear can't trouble themselves with using a lock or a complimentary ski check and then puts part of the blame on the mountain is beyond me.

maybe I'll eat crow someday and my locked skis will get ripped. At least I know I made a reasonable effort to secure my belongings.

I think the OP is trying to rationalize to some extent (I know I did when my rentals were stolen)...but the bottom line is that the skis were left unlocked and unchecked so the risk was there. Can't make the ski areas responsible, especially when they do offer a ski check.

dmc

I know Hunter has busted people using the cameras..

Black Phantom

I don't think a convenience store owner is going to care all that much if you leave your bike unlocked outside and it gets stolen. A police detective would get to review the tapes for sure, but as others have mentioned, it's kind of hard to get a positive ID on a theif in ski attire.

Have not been to Loon in a few years. It is a day trippers paradise and theft is difficult to control anywhere. I can't believe these guys were not using the COMP ski check? 1200 clams for the boards but too cheap to tip the kid a buck or two for piece of mind? Wow.

And the cameras are on the cash regi$ter$. Robbery of a clerk and a register carries far more implications than stealing a pair of skis.

gmcunni

but they still get robbed was my point (regardless who's property). cameras are not a preventative control. even free ski checks can be defeated if they guy working there needs some extra cash.

bottom line - thieves suck and i hope the OP gets his skis back.

dmc

What is the ratio of theft to bust?

No clue... I don't hear a lot about ski thefts at Hunter believe it or not..
Security keeps an close eye on most things. Don't get high in the parking lot...