• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Folsom Custom ski stolen from Loon 2/5

eatskisleep

but they still get robbed was my point (regardless who's property). cameras are not a preventative control. even free ski checks can be defeated if they guy working there needs some extra cash.

bottom line - thieves suck and i hope the OP gets his skis back.

Or if someone were to wait for the ski checker's shift to change, then go out saying that they lost their ticket to get the skis back, new guy wouldn't have to recognize them... etc.

same could be said with locks, see a pair you really want and I think a smooth talker could convince patrol that they lost their key, or that the combination is jammed (especially common on these days of freezing rain and sleet).

I actually did have a ski lock get jammed before, I haven't used it since.

Also, in relation to my point that the mountains could actually save money by catching these thieves (see this post http://forums.alpinezone.com/showpost.php?p=603395&postcount=66 )

Just because you have a lock, that doesn't stop the problem. They will another innocent person's skis. The problem won't stop (ever in reality) until the theives are caught.

gmcunni

Stolen? Or removed by the mountain because you left them attached to the racks?

no way of knowing but assume stolen. First time was at Pico, place was empty on a friday. i had left it attached to the rack all morning. locked up @ lunch then went back out. was gone at the end of the day. I asked about it at lost and found, explaining what happened and they didn't tell me it was their policy to remove locks but who knows.

2nd time was @ ski sundown where i've left the lock every time i've been there as have many others and they've never been removed. not sure why a mountain would remove a lock that was there during the day, it isn't stopping anyone from using the rack.

eatskisleep

Also, another reason to try to get rid of thieves is because they don't just steal skis. Read on TGR of someone having their goggles stolen at Magic this weekend. Have heard of shoes and just about everything else getting stolen at SR.

andyaxa

I think the point about a bad reputation (fair or not) about an area can create loss of business. This could go in the "lift chit chat" thread but at the beginning of the season, one of my daughter's and I were riding up a quad and overheard two friends talking about another friend's experience at Gunstock. They said the management was not sympathetic etc and neither the two on the lift nor the friends of the folks on the lift would ever return. This is not to throw Gunny under the bus, just an example. I'm not sure what they could have actually done, and maybe it was actually the poor service, not the actual theft, so I have now contradicted myself. At any rate, I think it can have an impact, but short of offering free check or locks and maybe cameras (for deterrence) and good customer service I'm not sure what we should further expect the areas to do.

I do feel badly for anyone, however, if they have stuff stolen under any circumstances.

dmc

Stolen? Or removed by the mountain because you left them attached to the racks?

haha.... I thought I had a board stolen at JH but the rack got moved for grooming... i was a the Mangy Moose.. Happy hour was extended... :)

gmcunni

haha.... I thought I had a board stolen at JH but the rack got moved for grooming... i was a the Mangy Moose.. Happy hour was extended... :)

that happened to me @ sunapee once. came out of the bar slightly drunk after dark to find an empty rack. they'd taken the skis inside, i had to show ID to get them back.

legalskier

Locking skis is a great idea..too bad the locks are a joke..all you need is a pair of wire cutters..now if they made a real locking system..but it would probably be too heavy to lug around.

Not this one- it's served me very well:
10868.jpg

A pair of my gogs were stolen off the table at MC years ago when I hit the men's room before leaving. They were very expensive and distinctive men's Carreras. The next year I was riding up the Cabriolet talking to a young woman and noticed she was wearing the same model. When I asked where she'd gotten them she said some dude she knew who worked there had given them to her the prior season. I couldn't prove anything because I hadn't marked them, but I had a creepy feeling those were mine. Sometimes it's an inside job. :angry:

andyaxa

Actually I did have a pair of rentals almost lifted, but it was a case of mistaken identity and I caught the guy skating away from the racks. Must have been the same sized skis,poles and evidently boots, racked next to each other. No harm, no foul, especially since I seem to always be doing this with grocery carts at the supermarket. :oops:

snowmonster

Thanks for the replies to my question. I know that the mountain sometimes cuts locked skis from racks so that they can be moved at the end of the day for grooming but that's beside the point.

My point is: people complain that locks are easy to cut or a PITA to put on. But, despite that, with the exception of gmcunni's case where he assumed that his skis were stolen, it seems that most people who lock their skis and boards stand a better chance of going into the lodge and then having their gear in place when they are ready to go back out there.

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Thanks for the replies to my question. I know that the mountain sometimes cuts locked skis from racks so that they can be moved at the end of the day for grooming but that's beside the point.

My point is: people complain that locks are easy to cut or a PITA to put on. But, despite that, with the exception of gmcunni's case where he assumed that his skis were stolen, it seems that most people who lock their skis and boards stand a better chance of going into the lodge and then having their gear in place when they are ready to go back out there.

Here's what I use when in the lodge getting dressed. If I'm at a different location for a stop then I'll split the skis and poles.

20110222192506.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
After much frustration, hassle, and cost ($650 to the rental shop and no loss insurance) I've definitely learned my lesson.

Ouch, ouch, ouch ouch. I started buying the waiver insurance for a couple bucks, moreso in case I damage them, but I do believe it covers theft too. Fortunately I don't rent very much. Not sure what they'd do if you were demo-ing and broke them.