• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Garbage on the slopes

bdfreetuna

Spruce Cliffs huh. I've never even been to Sunday River but I'll be sure to give that a look if I ever do.

From the video below it doesn't look much harder than a few of the glades at Magic or the bottom section of Julio. I will say that 2nd pitch is pretty impressive though.

Smellytele

I had skied the area but it wasn't named back in the early 90's when we went in there. It wasn't a name trail until the late 90's I believe and was for less than 10 years.

bdfreetuna

We are just about over the hump, upkillclimber!

Thanks for the map, looks pretty easy to find. Now if I could only get to Sunday River lol

But yes the Bicknell's Trush is a very messy bird. I can confirm that at least out of those photos, the tent and the pass tree appear to be the work of an unappreciative Thrush.

:idea: Perhaps the Sunday River Community might organize a cleanup this Fall in exchange for some glade "management"? :idea:
You ought to post this on the SR Community site also if you haven't already.

Pez

People are terrible. Pick up you shit folks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiur

People are terrible. Pick up you shit folks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Seems like the biggest offender was Sunday River, if management leaves shit around it doesn't set the best example for the guests.

machski

You can see, by the two videos that bdfreetuna posted, why the trail was closed off. It is roped off and signed, but folks go there anyways. The first part of the trail is fairly well opened up and readily skied by any competent skier, even those used to trails. But when you get to the drop off and trees, that takes someone who has more skill than the average weekender. And once you get past the opened up area, there simply is no easy way back to Risky business. Your options are to remove your skis and climb back up, or go down the steep tree run, with rocks protruding. I'm guessing that the trail was probably more open in the day and possibly groomed on the shallower parts anyways. Or maybe not. But the steeps would have required a winch cat. Word is there were many, too many rescues, so the rerouted the trail.

For those looking for it, if you take Risky Business, and watch on the right side where it appears that trees are starting to grow into an old trail, it's roped off, it'll be easy enough to find, on your right, before you go under the Spruce lift. In fact, if you look on their trail maps, you'll see to the left of Risky a clearing in the trees. That's it. It comes out on Three mile trail just above Sluice. You can see where three mile is a little wide into the woods just above sluice.

38675473_10217046424422609_4668093842560385024_o.jpg

Here this thread was supposed to be about garbage all over and instead, it looks like some of you will be looking for Spruce cliffs next winter!
It wasn't just the rescues. The wall is so steep it doesn't hold snow well if at all (unless we got a 2 foot dump of cement snow) so when it actually opened, you wanted to be one of the first down. Otherwise, you were guaranteed to blunt your edges.

It also rarely opened when it was a trail, leaving them short of 100% open due to this one trail.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

It wasn't just the rescues. The wall is so steep it doesn't hold snow well if at all (unless we got a 2 foot dump of cement snow) so when it actually opened, you wanted to be one of the first down. Otherwise, you were guaranteed to blunt your edges.

It also rarely opened when it was a trail, leaving them short of 100% open due to this one trail.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yup - All true.. I think we skied it more before the days of it officially becoming a trail...
As a 20 year SR Patroller, I can recall a couple extremely sketchy sled rides over those cliffs...

tumbler

All ski areas have this type of stuff laying around on the hill. It's expensive to get it off esp. during summer when budgets are lean. You don't see all of it when its covered in snow...

gregnye

All ski areas have this type of stuff laying around on the hill. It's expensive to get it off esp. during summer when budgets are lean. You don't see all of it when its covered in snow...

That's true but some resorts are much worse than others when it comes to leaving garbage around. Killington is perfect example. That devil's fiddle chair hasn't been used in years yet it still stands there rusting away

Jully

That's true but some resorts are much worse than others when it comes to leaving garbage around. Killington is perfect example. That devil's fiddle chair hasn't been used in years yet it still stands there rusting away

I thought that was for permitting. If they removed it completely they would need to get a new permit if they ever wanted a new lift there but if they leave it standing, its an easier process.

Might be strictly rumor/excuses though I do not know.

benski

I thought that was for permitting. If they removed it completely they would need to get a new permit if they ever wanted a new lift there but if they leave it standing, its an easier process.

I am still confused why they put a chair there in the first place. It’s seams completely redundant and only serves a small area served well by a quad.

gregnye

Yeah I've heard that rumor too. Doesn't make it right though. Like lift tickets are over $90, just a few tickets would be needed to cover the state permitting costs again.

Also why would they ever need Devils Fiddle quad again? I could understand the argument for the old Sunrise lift (the lower towers are also still there), but even if they brought that back to life, people could just skate over to the Bear Mountain lift.

More importantly though, I wish Pico would clean up the debris on Poma line.

speden

I've seen Wachusett advertise a mountain clean up day in the spring, where people can volunteer to pick up trash on the mountain for a free lift ticket and lunch. Seems like a good idea since you need a lot of manpower to collect all the scattered trash that was hidden under the snow. But volunteers can't tackle big stuff like old haul cables, so that should have been removed at the time it was decommissioned. Maybe an inspector should have flagged that as a problem.

There seems to be a trend towards making single use stuff biodegradable, and then some the trash could be handled by mother nature. I read the other day that sales of paper straws are up 5000% since a lot of places are phasing out using plastic straws. Not sure what can be done about beer cans. Probably it's not good to have metal break down and contaminate the soil, so would be nice if people would pack out their trash once they are done partying in the woods.

Hopefully someone at Sunday River will see your post and take some action to clean that stuff up.