• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gee, do you think it's safe to visit Vermont?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
:-o

State urges Vermonters to prepare for pandemic

October 20, 2008

COLCHESTER, Vt.—The Vermont Department of Health is urging residents to prepare for what officials believe will be a worldwide flu pandemic by stocking their pantries.

Public health officials say that during a flu pandemic families won't be able to go to work, school or the store.
Health Commissioner Wendy Davis says people should buy things like dried foods that have a long shelf life.
In 1918, a worldwide flu pandemic killed millions of people.
Davis says it's only a matter of time before another pandemic spreads across the world.
Burlington is one of nine communities around the country taking part in a pilot project sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to get ready for the pandemic.

source: associated press

deadheadskier

Staff member
stock pantries for how long I wonder? If I had to hazard a guess, most of the time we probably have enough food in the house to last about ten days.

That's a pretty bold statement by a government agency. I imagine such a statement could stir some fear in the elderly.

Glenn

State health departments been doing this for the past few years. I think it's a fine line to walk. I worry that they're starting to cry wolf and if this ever happens, people won't take it seriously.

frozencorn

well i guess i wont be going to stowe at all. fu$# CDC screwing up my plans. i know what i can do i will snowboard in a buble suit. although it might get tricy in the trees i think the extra padding will help.

Sweet. shorter lift lines.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
If it's a "worldwide pandemic" doesn't that include everywhere not just Vermont.

Did ya even read your own copy and paste job cause I think you missed this part.
Burlington is one of nine communities around the country taking part in a pilot project sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to get ready for the pandemic.
Again what is your purpose in singling out Vermont?

Haven't you ever experienced a fire drill at school or where you work?

frozencorn

If it's a "worldwide pandemic" doesn't that include everywhere not just Vermont.

Did ya even read your own copy and paste job cause I think you missed this part.

Again what is your purpose in singling out Vermont?

Haven't you ever experienced a fire drill at school or where you work?

I think just because the original article had to do solely with Vermont, not the other locations. Basically, the AP ripped this from the VPR headlines and re-wrote it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ve...ate_urges_vermonters_to_prepare_for_pandemic/

This stinks for Vermont since the state relies heavily on tourism..oh well..I guess I'll have to slum it and go to Iceface..lol

Trekchick

FWIW, I had the flu already and the strain that is going around is extremely contagious and hard to shake.
Several people have had it develop into pneumonia, with hospitalization required.
I am actually concerned for my 88 year old Grandma.

FWIW, I had the flu already and the strain that is going around is extremely contagious and hard to shake.
Several people have had it develop into pneumonia, with hospitalization required.
I am actually concerned for my 88 year old Grandma.

Catching the flu seems like the perfect weight-loss plan for me.........Not..:puke::puke::puke:

Now I'm starting to think about getting a flu shot..

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
My mother got the flu shot two years ago when all the experts were saying that the pandemic was imminent! She was sick for about a month with flu like symptoms, I felt really bad for her.

No shot for me, I'll fight it off with Beam!