• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Global Flight Paths

Puck it

_67842750_michaelmarkieta_globalfligh.jpg

Link to article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22690684

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool pic. You know I was thinking a cool app on a phone would use the camera and let you point it at a plane in the sky and find out where it is coming from and where it is going like Flightradar but with a live view.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Cool pic. You know I was thinking a cool app on a phone would use the camera and let you point it at a plane in the sky and find out where it is coming from and where it is going like Flightradar but with a live view.

While that would be pretty sweet (i've often wondered where planes are coming from/going that are flying overhead), I have a feeling the FAA wouldn't like that kind of info so easily accessible.

ctenidae

I think it would be cool to have an app that told you where you were based on time/route so you could look out the window and know what's below, without using GPS. You could have just the map strip on your phone ahead of the flight, so you don't need a connection

bvibert

Staff member
I think it would be cool to have an app that told you where you were based on time/route so you could look out the window and know what's below, without using GPS. You could have just the map strip on your phone ahead of the flight, so you don't need a connection

That would be cool, until the flight changes it's route to avoid weather...

Puck it

Like Lufthansa does on their Airbuses during flight on the screens.

ctenidae

United and ANA both have this on at least some of their international flights too

Yeah, but the maps never zoom when you want them to, and since United's in flight systems seem to brak on about 80% of flights, it's not very reliable.

ScottySkis

Yeah, but the maps never zoom when you want them to, and since United's in flight systems seem to brak on about 80% of flights, it's not very reliable.

Well I don't want bad people to know how close the plane is to a city.

twinplanx

I don't think an app is realistic, but I always wonder who's up there, where they are going and where they might have been...

Hawkshot99

Well I don't want bad people to know how close the plane is to a city.

Anyone who is going to take over a plane, has full plans and lots of preperation going into the plan. It is not something they would decide to do, when thry saw that they were not far from say Chicago.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
While that would be pretty sweet (i've often wondered where planes are coming from/going that are flying overhead), I have a feeling the FAA wouldn't like that kind of info so easily accessible.

That was my first thought as well but with flightradar you can already sort of do this, just not as easily.

Edit: It exists. http://www.flightradar24.com/apps

Augmented reality view - identify the planes flying overhead by simply pointing your phone's camera to the sky

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

It would be really cool if you could use it for sightseeing. Like announcements on your phone... "you are now flying over the world's largest rubber band ball"

bvibert

Staff member
It would be really cool if you could use it for sightseeing. Like announcements on your phone... "you are now flying over the world's largest rubber band ball"

Can you see the world's largest rubber band ball from 30,000 feet?

bvibert

Staff member
It's that big...

I think the pilots ought to announce stuff like that more often, especially when passing a city or a real landmark.

They're too busy napping up there... ;)

Seriously, while some may appreciate that, I'm sure there's at least as many others that would be annoyed by additional interruptions, especially if they're trying to watch a movie, read, sleep, etc.. Most of the plane is seated in a coach aisle or middle seat where they can't see out the window anyway, and then only half of those seated at a window would be able to see whatever it is they're passing. If you can't see it then who gives a crap???