• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggles with Heads up Display [sigh]

catskills

Ok I feel like I just crawled out of cave where I have been sleeping for the last 20 years. I was looking for helmets and ended up looking at goggles and found these:

$650 Smith Googles I/O Recon with Heads up Display and Real Time Data. WTF I had no idea this stuff even existed.
BTW this is NOT on my Christmas list. I will leave that for the 20 somethings that already made their first $Million.
What ever happened to getting away from technology and enjoying nature. :sad:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The day I spend more on my goggles that I do on my ski is the day that I - uh - I dunno. Doesn't matter with my aging eyes and single vision contacts I would an ultra reader lens for the display.

Puck it

I looked at the Oakley version at the Merrimack outlets. Definitely nice but not worth the $$$. Also, I would not be able to read the display with my contacts in.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wear contacts. The concept is really cool but to be honest in use its not that simple to really look. It's a concerted effort. Something like Google Glass would probably be a little more minimalistic.

catskills

You must have missed the comprehensive AlpineZone review of these goggles including pics of me wearing them :)

http://www.alpinezone.com/gear-reviews/recon-mod-live-review/

Yup I missed that review. Nice review I see.

If your skiing along on a nice day, can your heads up display accidentally fill up with windows that would totally block you vision. Kind of like what use to happen on your computer when you clicked on the wrong link and all these windows would keep filling your screen. The only way to stop it was hit the Power Off button.

C-Rex

I would definitely eff myself up hitting a bump I didn't see because I was too busy looking at the display.

However, I would love a little camera on the back of my head with small display up in the corner of the goggles so I could see my blindspots. That would be nice for big mountain guys too. They could see when an avalanche was coming up on them and have a better idea of where to go to get clear. I'm reaching here, I know but you never know what they'll come up with in future.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yup I missed that review. Nice review I see.

If your skiing along on a nice day, can your heads up display accidentally fill up with windows that would totally block you vision. Kind of like what use to happen on your computer when you clicked on the wrong link and all these windows would keep filling your screen. The only way to stop it was hit the Power Off button.

No, the screen is really out of the way. You have to really turn your eyes to see it at all. It's definitely not blocking your view in any way. I like the concept of it but it's almost like driving while looking down at your phone. You do really need to move your eyes from the trail to the display to see what is going on. The videos that show it sort of in your periphory while you ski aren't really accurate.

millerm277

It's an interesting concept. I'd be pretty concerned about damaging this thing in a crash though, and obviously goggles that cost more than a pair of skis does seems insane, but over time that'll probably come down.

Nice review. I think you made a bit of an error about the temperature though. -4C is almost exactly 25F (as you say it was outside), it sounds like it got switched to Celsius, not that the unit was malfunctioning/inaccurate.

BenedictGomez

What someone wearing these goggles thinks: "I am the coolest thing ever".

What I think of someone wearing these goggles: "What a friggin' loser!"

Huck_It_Baby

Pretty gimmicky if you ask me. I don't see what true value it brings to the skiing experience.

MadMadWorld

These things are for adults that were never able to live their childhood dream of being a fighter pilot

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app