• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggles

s-rod

Anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of ski goggles? Looking for something moderately priced with good visibility. Thanks!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Re: Googles

I have been using since last season and really like my Smith I/O goggles. Might look into some different lenses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thetrailboss

Staff member
You really need to go to a shop and try them on to make sure that they fit your face. And try to get a pair for bright days (or use sunglasses) and a pair for darker days. I got mine at Level Nine Sports (which is www.levelninesports.com).

gmcunni

trying on diff models at a ski shop is a good idea, however, that's not what i did. i saw stuff online and ordered it based on the price and reviews. the fit isn't perfect but i get by. i have the smith fuse which was pretty cheap on SAC/Tramdock a couple of years ago. FWIW, when i got the goggles i didn't wear a helmet and i really liked the fit. once i added a helmet i found they didn't sit well on my face.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
trying on diff models at a ski shop is a good idea, however, that's not what i did. i saw stuff online and ordered it based on the price and reviews. the fit isn't perfect but i get by. i have the smith fuse which was pretty cheap on SAC/Tramdock a couple of years ago. FWIW, when i got the goggles i didn't wear a helmet and i really liked the fit. once i added a helmet i found they didn't sit well on my face.

Good point. Make sure you try on with helmet if you do wear one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I got Spy ones from Steepandcheap.com several years ago for like $39 and love them.:)

EOS

+1 For the Smith I/O's.

But you should definitely bring your helmet in and try a bunch with your helmet on.

HowieT2

i had a goggle meltdown this past week and had to buy a new one. I ended getting an Anon. They werent cheap, but they have a magnetic system holding the lens in so the lenses are easily interchangeable and they come with 2 lenses for different lighting conditions. I've only used them 2 days but so far so good.

drjeff

As said, TRY them on to make sure that they fit your face and are compatible with your helmet! Not all goggle and faces are the same size!!

Personally I've got 2 pairs of Oakley Wisdom's from 3 seasons ago. One with a yellow lense for low/flat light days and one with a dark (Oakley calls it "fire iridium") lense for bright days (and considering that i'm a fair skinned, blue eyed person "bright" is pretty much any day that the sun might even be thinking about breaking through the clouds ;) :lol: ).

I have a large head (feel free to make as many comments as you all want too! :) ) so the large sized frame that I have works with me and my XXL size Giro helmet. But with so many different sizes and lense tints out there, you gotta find what works best FOR YOU, not just get what works best for someone else!

Smellytele

I bought my wife a pair of bolle goggles with vermillion blue modulator lenses which change for the condition of the light. She likes them so far.

57stevey

+1 on the Bolle Modulators (mine are rose not blue.) I never really notice them modulating, but by the same token I never notice them being too dark or too light, so apparently they are working!

CrudClub1

I wore Scott goggles for many, many, many years. Recently switched to Giro (Station). Nice, fleecy feeling foam. Carl Zeiss Optical lenses. Quite happy so far.

ScottySkis

I wore Scott goggles for many, many, many years. Recently switched to Giro (Station). Nice, fleecy feeling foam. Carl Zeiss Optical lenses. Quite happy so far.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I like anything made Scott lol.:)

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
There has been amazing improvements in lens technology the last 3 years. Both the Smith I/O and the Oakley Airbrake have changed the interchangeble google platform so changing lens to fit the light conditions is pretty easy compared the standard method we have had for years. Personally, I have no interest in changing lens during the day so I like the new Illuminator lens on several Scott models and the Sensor Mirror lens on Smith goggles. Both work great with depth perception and ability to see in a wide variety of flat light conditions and bright/shadow light levels.