• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore - 12/27

Bene288

Date(s) Skied: Dec. 27th, 2012
Resort or Ski Area:
Gore Mountain
Conditions:
Powder

Trip Report:

Great day at Gore! Woke up early to about 6" of snow in Albany. We set out at 7:00 this am and had sort of a stressful drive up
the Northway, some people are absolutely oblivious in the snow. Oh Well. Billski had me worried with threats of heavy gusts and
wind holds. There wasn't much wind in Albany, but I was still expecting wind holds at the mountain, however it never got too breezy!
We lucked out pretty good. I'd say the gusts were maybe 9-16mph. We got there and the lots were packed. Got a little worried
then remembered Gore can be at capacity and still be uncrowded on some of the trails.

I won't list every trail we hit. There were a lot, but I'd say they got close to 18" of snow. The glades were wicked with what seemed
like 2+ feet of coverage in areas. Tons of bumps and jumps everywhere. The High Peaks area was the best snow of the day, everyone seemed to
stick to the few main trails under and to the left and right of the gondola. The advanced terrain wasn't congested at all. Every lift
but the gondola was ski-on. It was snowing all day so everyone huddled around the gondola, but even then the line wait was 5 minutes
at the most.

Great day for the girl and I. She had a rough start, never skied powder like that before. She caught on quick and had a great time too.
Now I must ice my joints to prepare for Magic tomorrow.

Attachments

• Gore 1.jpg
    Gore 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Gore 2.jpg
    Gore 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Gore 3.jpg
    Gore 3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Gore 4.jpg
    Gore 4.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Gore 5.jpg
    Gore 5.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Cornhead

Very nice, Gore is the first "big" resort I ever skied. It fanned my passion for skiing, and traveling to ski, and has a special place in my heart. Got two vouchers for Gore this year, YAY, more Gore! Hopefully I'll get lucky and hit it on a day like today.

millerm277

Looks good. I'll be skiing there Sat-Mon. I don't understand what's currently listed as open though/their reasoning. Little Gore/the Ski Bowl is open on natural and they're running the chair there, but the (higher elevation) Burnt Ridge is closed? Doesn't make sense.

mriceyman

Looks good. I'll be skiing there Sat-Mon. I don't understand what's currently listed as open though/their reasoning. Little Gore/the Ski Bowl is open on natural and they're running the chair there, but the (higher elevation) Burnt Ridge is closed? Doesn't make sense.

Most likely it will open it by the weekend. Ill be there the same 3 days as you. Ive seen them stagger some areas after storms and it helps keep the mountain fresh.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Glad you made it Benn to Gore, especially on powder day and great report.

Bene288

Most likely it will open it by the weekend. Ill be there the same 3 days as you. Ive seen them stagger some areas after storms and it helps keep the mountain fresh.

I think you're right. You could hear the snow guns over there all day.

Bene288

Yeah that was good haha. My girlfriend was driving which is terrifying on dry roads, let alone snow. So a little time on the iPhone kept my heart rate down. We probably saw about 8-10 vehicles off the road between the drive there and back, including a plow truck..