• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Gorge

JDMRoma

Just read about it on WMUR it's on their website but pretty vague.
Sounds like 2 chairs collided but that's all they're saying

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yeah 2 injured and taken to a hospital. Says 4 were trapped. How could two chairs collide both with people on them? Unless it was a deropement.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Thanks. I got the sense that injures were involved. The lift is an old Borvig, so I assume "Hall Grips".

Edit: Thanks Jully. Your posting came in while I was writing the above comment.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
This morning's news seemed to clarify what happened.
1. The two people on the back chair that collided were trapped between the two chairs and injured. Probably, not seriously, but the report did not say
2. The lift was stopped and 5 other people on the chairlift were evacuated
3. The lift will not operate until it is re-inspected. Granite Gorge is not open on most non-holiday weekdays, so they should have lots of time to make things right in time for the Presidents Week Vacation.

elks

Damn, my kids take lessons there on Sundays. We did a bunch of laps and left around 2:15 pm. Hope this doesn't set them back further and that everyone is ok. It's been a rough year at Granite Gorge. Their limited snowmaking equipment has been having a hard time keeping up with this warm winter.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

thetrailboss

Staff member
Considering that they are not open on non-holiday weekdays, they have 3 or 4 days to get it fixed and inspected without missing a beat. I can't imagine this will take long unless there are a bunch of grips that need replacing

Right. The article suggests that the issue was fixed and they were cleared to reopen.

zoomzoom

chairlift grips are designed to hold the carrier in position with factor of safety of 3x.

it is usual for grips to migrate a bit backwards during the operating season. the amount of migration is dependant upon lift speed, lift slope to some degree, and number of operating hours. easy to see that grip migration is different for each lift, and total migration during the season of 1ft to 4/5ft is not unusual. migration is usual and beneficial. if the grip was clamped super-tight ( highly technical term here ), the result would be broken wires under the grip from the cable flexing as it travels around the bullwheels and over sheave trains. not good. grips need to, and are designed to, migrate a bit. you will (or should) see some spray paint on the cable near the nose of each grip. this allows lift techs to monitor grip migration throughout the season. any grip showing excessive (relative to other grips on this lift) migration will be removed and examined.

it is common for 100% of the grips to be slip-tested annually, sometimes a rotating 10% sample are tested in-season. doesn't take long using a pneumatic or hydraulic ram.

for a carrier to slide into another is telling much. 'nuff said.

following an event such as this, the lift inspector would examine the particular grip for internal wear, the spring pack to see if it's taken a "set", the rope report to see if the rope diameter is near the minmum allowable diameter, and more. if he's satisfied with his investigation and the areas' mediation to correct what happened, he should require a 100% slip test and maybe reopen the lift to the public if he's happy.

collisions such as these can result in broken knees or tib/fib fractures. no fun having your leg dangling there until roped off. unacceptable.

Last edited: