• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Group Lodging In Lincoln/Woodstock

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
My old Boy Scout troop wants to go to Cannon Mt. this year for their group ski trip. I know there are alot of people on this board who are familiar with Cannon and the area. Are there any places where a group could afford-ably and safely stay?

bobbutts

My old Boy Scout troop wants to go to Cannon Mt. this year for their group ski trip. I know there are alot of people on this board who are familiar with Cannon and the area. Are there any places where a group could afford-ably and safely stay?
Try Indian Head or Woodward's

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
indian head resort? or is there somewhere affordable called Indian Head that I missed...Indian Head is $139 for a weekend that is not a holiday...that's for two people. $70/night/per person is not cheap for a scout troop. Woodwards is similar.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
would you want to get into a tent and sleeping bag after skiing all day? how about getting into boots that have been sitting in a tent all night the next day? especially if you're a 12 year old... :p tents are not happening on this trip...

Thanks for the tip on Parkers, though. Didn't turn up when I did a search for some reason....

this looks more like what they're looking for.

hammer

would you want to get into a tent and sleeping bag after skiing all day? how about getting into boots that have been sitting in a tent all night the next day? especially if you're a 12 year old... :p tents are not happening on this trip...

Thanks for the tip on Parkers, though. Didn't turn up when I did a search for some reason....

this looks more like what they're looking for.
Last February I planned a ski trip for my son's troop to Jay Peak and we stayed in a cabin at the Mount Norris Boy Scout camp about 20 minutes away. Worked out pretty well and the cabin was inexpensive ($100 for the weekend). Tough part was the lack of indoor facilities and cooking outside in 0 degree weather, but it's a Boy Scout trip.

No way would I want to pitch tents, too cold...

njskier

Did you try checking with Cannon. Elk Mountain in PA lets Troops sleep in a warming hut thats on the side of a trail (you put your sleeping bag on top of a picnic table). They also issue meal tickets for breakfast/lunch/dinner for use in the lodge. The warming huts free, the meal tickets discounted. Worth a try at Cannon, Waterville Valley has a similar deal.

hammer

My comment on the tenting was mostly tongue in check. Should have put a few more ;) ;) ;) in there. ;)
OK...didn't know if you were one of those camping enthusiasts. There are some Boy Scout troops (not ours) who have camped outside in single-digit overnight temps.

Talisman

Try talking to the people at Cannon to see if they will let you camp in one of the base area buildings. Magic and Ascutney let groups do this for some nominal fee. Jay used to let groups camp in the Stateside lodge. Bromley has a Boy Scout weekend which has many troops camping in school gyms for the weekend.

There are some cabins in Lisbon, NH that may also play let's make a deal.

Back in the day I camped out every month of the year with my old Boy Scout troop, including a few trips to ski country. A few bales of hay for insulating the floor of the WW II surplus tents and it was fun.

bobbutts

indian head resort? or is there somewhere affordable called Indian Head that I missed...Indian Head is $139 for a weekend that is not a holiday...that's for two people. $70/night/per person is not cheap for a scout troop. Woodwards is similar.
There have been kids groups at Woodward's when I've stayed there which at least makes me think it's a decent place to do that. You'll need to call to get group rates I'm sure. Maybe it will be too much, but you got to at least call. Both of those places are pretty big so they're looking to fill multiple rooms in one shot.