• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guess a ski area in three clues

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thank you Trailboss for affirming my 3rd point. And I don't mind if Cannonball gives the next clues - but can't you (ss20) admit that my answer was correct?

Sure. You're correct. Whatever inflates your ego a bit more. IMO, wanting to be competitive and accurate is one thing but I think you're going a bit too tryhard on this thread. This is not the first time you've questioned the questioner and gone technical on a lighthearted game.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The third clue should make this easy, so to at least give it a little challenge, include all 4 names under which the area operated.
1. Original name had to do with "church owned property"
2. Operated under at least 2 other names before going out of business
3. Trails of this area can be seen from the top of Mount Sunapee

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Priest's Hill, Groton Hills. Think this fits all 3 criteria but I don't know 2 other names for it.

Clue #1 fits
Clue #2: I skied this place as "Groton Hills". As far as I know, it only operated as "Priest's Hill, Groton Hills" and just "Groton Hills."
Clue #3: I am not aware of any trails at MA areas that can be seen from Sunapee, but I doubt the trails would still be visible even if the area was. It closed ca. 1980.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Timber Ridge? It's on Glebe Mt. (Magic Mt.) which fits clue 1. Don't know what its other names were, but it's definitely visible from Sunapee.http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg22746
Ding, ding, ding.

I asked someone if it was the East Bowl at Bromley. He said it was Timber Ridge and pointed to something and said you could see the top of Bromley, but not the trails.

The definition of "glebe": "the cultivable land owned by a parish church ..."

Your turn mapnut.

Mapnut

According to NELSAP its first name was Glebe Mountain Farm, then Timber Ridge, then Timberside at Magic. Does it have any particular name now?

I have to pass on a new set of clues, too busy at least until lunch time.

Bromley is visible in my photo above; the East Bowl appears to face south.

Mapnut

OK, I decided to take a break.

1. It has a new trail this year
2. It has a split personality
3. It has a glade that isn't a glade.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
1. The tree was hit by lightning 20ish year's ago (don't think in literal terms)
2. A paintball place is located halfway up the hill
3. Well under the 500ft vertical drop and much smaller than the 100 acres that they claim to have.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
1. Gondola on wind hold more often than not
2. Very icy
3. Minimal natural snow

I'm sure deadheadskier is right on with his suggestion that the answer is Whiteface, but I find myself wondering about clues 1 and 2:
1. Gondola on wind hold more often than not
What percentage of time is the gondola really on wind hold? If anybody know, I'd be curious, but I suspect it is less than 50% of the time.

2. Very icy
The last time I skied Whiteface was in 1973, before the Olympics, before there was significant snowmaking. Are there any AZers who can comment on the iciness of the pre-1980 Whiteface as compared with the "modern Whiteface"?

3. Minimal natural snow
As I recall, they were in an 80 to 100" per year area, which is light for such a large ski area. That being said, if there is an adequate water supply and a serious commitment to make snow, this isn't the problem that it once was.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thought Whiteface averaged like 150? That's obviously not a ton, but Cannon claims similar amounts. Cannon is also quite icy :lol:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Whiteface (and the ADK in general) do very well in years with lots of Alberta Clippers, and not so well in years with lots of coastal storms (like this year).

canobie#1

Jay?
I feel like that place is always a shot in the dark with conditions.

If not I would say Cannon as well.