• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guess a ski area in three clues

skiNEwhere

Probably an easy one

1. I did not allow snowboarders until the sometime this millennium
2. One of my defunct chairlifts is famous (for a chairlift) and still exists in some capacity
3. I am very small relative to other nearby areas

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not that I really care, but have we broken rank from the "rules" of the thread?

Technically Jully should be up no?

skiNEwhere

Yea it was aspen. Snowboarding ban lifted in 2001. Lift 1 was added to the national register of historic places, didn't want to come right and say that though or it would be too specific. The bottom terminal and a couple of the towers still remain.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Not my turn, but in the absence of a new posting in a couple of weeks:
1. My main lift has a mid-station.
2. My original name (not my current name) was the name of the mountain on which I am located
3. I still have a trail with the name of the mountain on which I am located.

steamboat1

Not my turn, but in the absence of a new posting in a couple of weeks:
1. My main lift has a mid-station.
2. My original name (not my current name) was the name of the mountain on which I am located
3. I still have a trail with the name of the mountain on which I am located.
Madonna (aka Smugglers Notch).

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Madonna (aka Smugglers Notch).
If M1 on Madonna Mountain has mid-station, this is a correct answer for clue #1. I do not remember there being one. Perhaps another AZer can confirm the presence (or absence) of mid-station on Madonna. And clue #3: I'm also not finding a trail named "Madonna" on their trail map.

So I can't 100% confirm or reject your answer - but as you might have guessed, it wasn't the area I was thinking of.

xwhaler

There is a mid station on M1 but it is not used anymore. Sorta too bad because I always thought it was be nice to board the lift from the mid station and lap the upper half.

Smellytele

There is a mid station on M1 but it is not used anymore. Sorta too bad because I always thought it was be nice to board the lift from the mid station and lap the upper half.

Actually I thought when I was there in March you could get off at the mid (I am pretty sure I did once or twice to ski the 3 mtn glades) or are you just saying no uphill boarding there?

xwhaler

Actually I thought when I was there in March you could get off at the mid (I am pretty sure I did once or twice to ski the 3 mtn glades) or are you just saying no uphill boarding there?

No uphill boarding allowed that I've ever seen. Can;t imagine many folks would get off at the mid station when it would be just as easy to avoid the line on M1 and ride M2 to the top.

Smellytele

No uphill boarding allowed that I've ever seen. Can;t imagine many folks would get off at the mid station when it would be just as easy to avoid the line on M1 and ride M2 to the top.

The day we were there the top section while okay to ski was a little "frozen" under the 6 -8" of snow we got that day and the trees and lower mountain were not so getting off there was nice. Also no lines that day. it was actually April 4th.

xlr8r

Slightly different version
1. My main lift has a mid station
3. My current name is the same as that of another ski area in another state