• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock 1-27-2013

Bostonian

Date(s) Skied: 1/27/13
Resort or Ski Area: Gunstock
Conditions: Cold, sunny, packed powder
Review: Woke up early this morning to finally, after a month of being sick off and on, to make my way out to the Mighty G for some early morning turns. Arrived in the lot at 8:15am to find the Panorama Quad down for "maintenance issues." Making the best of the situation, I rode up the Ramrod Quad cruised down Tiger for the first run. I made my way over to the Tiger Double and also ended up hitting what I think was the run of the day Red Hat. With the Summit Lift still down I made my way down Trigger (via Trigger Link) and making my way over to the Pistol complex and then making my way back to the Tiger Triple again. Finally, after another run down Red Hat, the summit opened up. Hit up all the summit trails this morning. After a few runs, the summit lift went down again. Hit up the Powder Keg for some chili and a Switchback. The lift came back up for two more runs before I had to head back home.. Major kudos to the snow-making team too. The mountain skied really great! Looking forward to $teaux next week!

obligatory summit pic:

46828_10151249609272963_658708487_n.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was up there today as well with Dana. Thought the conditions were pretty good. Only a bit of scratchiness here and there. I overheard the maintenance issues with the lift were sensor related. Not sure what that means, but they guy who mentioned it to me said that they essentially needed to run through a bunch of system tests like they do at the start of the day before clearing people to ride it again.

It always amazes me that even with the Pan down, the Tiger never seems to get a line. Their master plan has that lift converting to a Quad, but I really don't see a need to change it unless of course the plan would be to make it a high speed lift.

WinnChill

Yeah, definately a great job on snowmaking. For about the 4th time up this season, there have been more open trails every time. And I agree DHS that the lines were surprisingly short during the downtime on the Pan--probably good warming breaks for many.

Bostonian--looks like you had a good mix of trails. We couldn't get to many of them today. I'll ping you guys next time we plan to head up there.

Cheers.

Dmiller27

It was a fun fast day at Gunstock. Only wish I had some boot warmers for my feet. :)