• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock 12-7-2013

Bostonian

Date(s) Skied: 12-7-2013

Resort or Ski Area: Gunstock

Conditions: Machine Groomed, man made

Trip Report: First time out at the Mighty G this year, and also their second day of operation. Over the course of the off seasons they did some significant manicuring of their slopes (much welcomed!) and a lot of other stuff (new lighting, snow guns I think and more). They had 14 trails open, and the best of the batch was off the Pistol chair. It appeared they were blowing on trigger (or at least moving whales around) too. The snow was a mix of hard pack and death cookies. Skied til 12:30ish after a brief break at the bar for food and of course beer. Looking forward to them getting more of the mountain open, tiger is next on their list I think and with some natural snow and snowmaking it shouldn't be too long now. Plan to be back next saturday!

Pics:

Smith:
1466085_10151833557297963_1454130790_n.jpg

upper smith:
1016791_10151833557352963_460811285_n.jpg

top of Pistol:
1499588_10151833557402963_1665158415_n.jpg

Shotgun:
1466153_10151833557952963_1513376299_n.jpg

No snow on Phelps, or Ricochet, or Lower Ramrod:
1471797_10151833557857963_1558710097_n.jpg

xwhaler

Nice report and pics. Was the tiger spinning? I may get up there in a couple wks

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Gunstock

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.gunstock.com
Thanks for the photos and post. Pushing over 5,000 gallons per minute right now and we have great snowmaking weather after this little weirdness that is coming tonight at tomorrow. We will be pushing out Tiger Tuesday for a planned Wed opening, we will be skiing that from Ramrod next weekend. We are also blowing snow on Sidearm, Out of Sight, the Tubing hill. Tomorrow we will redirect the water flow to the summit so we can finish two trails from the top for next weekend. Keep praying for a bunch of cold weather, it makes our snowmakers very happy!

dlague

Thanks for the photos and post. Pushing over 5,000 gallons per minute right now and we have great snowmaking weather after this little weirdness that is coming tonight at tomorrow. We will be pushing out Tiger Tuesday for a planned Wed opening, we will be skiing that from Ramrod next weekend. We are also blowing snow on Sidearm, Out of Sight, the Tubing hill. Tomorrow we will redirect the water flow to the summit so we can finish two trails from the top for next weekend. Keep praying for a bunch of cold weather, it makes our snowmakers very happy!

We planned going today but got lazy and decided to chill! I have to say seeing this makes me wish we would have skied today! Based on your post next weekend looks promising and a Killington and Gunstock weekend is in the making!

Bostonian

Hopefully you get something out of tonight's storm! Down here in the flat lands, it is going to be ice... Looking forward to hitting the summit next saturday and Tiger!

bobbutts

Was there a few years ago for one of the first days and panorama was open.. Looks like a different plan this season for them.

dlague

Was there a few years ago for one of the first days and panorama was open.. Looks like a different plan this season for them.

From the looks of it and based on a recent announcement, it looks like they are aiming to get the night skiing terrain open quickly with the December 13th season opener for night skiing. Plus I am sure they are targeting the beginner and intermediate crowd since die hards more than likely have hit the slopes else where already! That being said top to bottom looks promising for this weekend so they are opening up trails quickly!