• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock to unveil Expansion plan

Bumpsis

I've skied Gunstock a 2 or 3 times and every time I'm there, I'm trying really hard not to be underwhelmed. It's just kind of boring. I don't know the terrain they are thinking to expend into but if it's more of the same, then it will remain a ho-hum place. It's convenient for me (Boston) to get there but I actually prefer to ski Sunapee or Ragged, if I were to choose among areas with similar verticals.

skiur

I have always been intrigued by how POWDR does not even try to offer any kind of intracompany pass reciprocity. i,e. passholders at Killington get no incentive to ski the other POWDR resorts. I would think that if a Killington passholder got a benefit of discounted or free access to Copper, Snowbird, or Bachelor that they would go. But nothing. Nadda.

If you get the Killington 365 pass you get an iKon pass so that allows skiing at other powdr resorts, but for the unlimited pass you get nothing.

Newpylong

I have always been intrigued by how POWDR does not even try to offer any kind of intracompany pass reciprocity. i,e. passholders at Killington get no incentive to ski the other POWDR resorts. I would think that if a Killington passholder got a benefit of discounted or free access to Copper, Snowbird, or Bachelor that they would go. But nothing. Nadda.

Why would they with the Ikon pass? Vail doesn't have a specific intra-company pass they use Epic. Neither does Alterra, they use Ikon.

Boyne does with the NE Pass, that's about it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why would they with the Ikon pass? Vail doesn't have a specific intra-company pass they use Epic. Neither does Alterra, they use Ikon.

Boyne does with the NE Pass, that's about it.
I'm talking historically as well as today. And while IKON gives them some revenue POWDR still loses a piece to Alterra, who is a competitor. The wide majority of EPIC Resorts are Vail, so that is basically an intracompany pass.

Newpylong

I'm talking historically as well as today. And while IKON gives them some revenue POWDR still loses a piece to Alterra, who is a competitor. The wide majority of EPIC Resorts are Vail, so that is basically an intracompany pass.

Yes, they do lose some revenue, but they make up for it in volume. That is why the mega passes were designed in the first place, to draw traffic that otherwise might not go to a specific mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting

3 out of 5 of the Gunstock commissioners fear being removed from their posts and replaced by people who support leasing the ski area.

Another is accused of trying to sell the ski area software that he has a vested financial interest in

Edd

Interesting

3 out of 5 of the Gunstock commissioners fear being removed from their posts and replaced by people who support leasing the ski area.

Another is accused of trying to sell the ski area software that he has a vested financial interest in

Yes, this month is going to be very interesting. If they succeed in removing 3 members of the GAC, it’s difficult to predict what follows.

snoseek

Put me firmly in the camp of keeping it county run after their performance this season. No way I'd want a Vail to take it over. That dude is an ass
I may be rocking this pass next year and if it's anything like cannon ops then I agree.

thetrailboss

Staff member

From Boston Globe today. Interesting and sad situation there at Gunstock
I read that. It is very, very sad that it is a political football for very partisan politics. Hopefully things change and the commission focuses on what is best for Gunstock instead of appealing to ideological positions.

Smellytele

I read that. It is very, very sad that it is a political football for very partisan politics. Hopefully things change and the commission focuses on what is best for Gunstock instead of appealing to ideological positions.
What if what they think is best for gunstock is to lease it out

Last edited: