• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hamstring Pull

Madroch

Pulled a hammy in our annual firm football game last Sunday (cold game on turf-- injuries not unlikely). Swelling (big knot) is down, but still pretty sore with a nice black/purple bruise. My question-- not sure how much you actualy use hamstrings skiing. When I think skiing I think quds, calves... not necessarily hamstrings (but I have no idea). Think I can get away with gentle cruising this weekend? My wife is not so subtlely reminding me of the time I played golf two weeks after I threw my back out lifting and ended up collapsing on the first tee and being worse off than the original injury- bed rest for days with heavy narcotics.

Am I nuts, or is this doable with some wrapping, anti-inlammatories etc?????

Edd

I'm no expert but I think hamstrings are pretty damn important for skiing. Rest sounds like good advice.

hammer

Best thing to do for a hamstring is to rest it. Once you think you're ready to come back, wait a little longer.
Think that applies to a lot of overuse type injuries. Easier said than done, however.

I'm still feeling a minor hamstring pull from running during the summer, even after resting to let my stress fracture on the same leg heal.

Bene288

I've pull my hams quite a few times playing hockey. It never got worse after the initial pull, but it was very painful to skate on. I don't think skiing on it would further the pull, but definitely will prolong your recovery time. But I am no doctor. If you're tore it then that is a whole different story.

Madroch

Thanks all- how do you know if you've torn it- i would presume I would be completely unable to walk right? I have a good amount of bruising- which I have been told is bleeding from the pull....

Bene288

Thanks all- how do you know if you've torn it- i would presume I would be completely unable to walk right? I have a good amount of bruising- which I have been told is bleeding from the pull....

If you tore it you would have a very very hard time walking and standing. The pain would be excruciating.

JimG.

Staff member

Sounds like my hammy pull from early spring softball decades ago...bruised like I had been beaten.

Stand up and flex your knees and ankles...you definitely activate the hamstring when you ski...rest it.

Madroch

If you tore it you would have a very very hard time walking and standing. The pain would be excruciating.

Thats what I thought.. just a pull here-- I can stand and walk (slight limp) with some pain but FAR from excruciating.

While I agree Dr Internet is not the way to go... I feel pretty comfortable that this is a garden variety hammy pull--- if it doesn't resolve I will see a real dr...

wa-loaf

Pulled a hammy in our annual firm football game last Sunday (cold game on turf-- injuries not unlikely). Swelling (big knot) is down, but still pretty sore with a nice black/purple bruise. My question-- not sure how much you actualy use hamstrings skiing. When I think skiing I think quds, calves... not necessarily hamstrings (but I have no idea). Think I can get away with gentle cruising this weekend? My wife is not so subtlely reminding me of the time I played golf two weeks after I threw my back out lifting and ended up collapsing on the first tee and being worse off than the original injury- bed rest for days with heavy narcotics.

Am I nuts, or is this doable with some wrapping, anti-inlammatories etc?????

I'm no expert but I think hamstrings are pretty damn important for skiing. Rest sounds like good advice.

Hamstring works a bit as a back-up ACL I'd give rest for a few days.

hammer

Thats what I thought.. just a pull here-- I can stand and walk (slight limp) with some pain but FAR from excruciating.

While I agree Dr Internet is not the way to go... I feel pretty comfortable that this is a garden variety hammy pull--- if it doesn't resolve I will see a real dr...
Main concern I'd have is with the bruising. Depends on whether you want to take the time and spend the co-pay for a Dr. visit.

When I pulled a calf muscle a few years ago I was limping but had no bruising. Took a few weeks of rest (no exercise) and the usual RICE treatment to be more or less back to pre-injury activity. Depends on your ability to heal...have found out that healing takes longer when you get to a certain age.

MadMadWorld

Not a doctor but the hamstring is large and just like an ankle there can be different degree of strains and tears. It's very possible that you had a small or partial tear. RICE is definitely the best thing. Hammies can be tricky and easy to reinjure. Be careful with activity so soon. Usually hurting it again in a short period of time means a longer recovery than what the original injury would have taken.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingdom-tele

pull, tear, strain, all the same thing. You had enough of a tissue unravelling, not just muscle, but connective tissue too, that you tore the small vessels in the region, thats why you bruised, that is not insignificant. Do you normally ski or jump up and down when your limping? You can ski, you'll just have to adapt so as not to strain the tissue more, you'll likely just end up straining your spine since it will have to compensate for the fact you can't extend your hip because your hamstring can't. If addition now the nervous system is also totally resetting how well your quad and knee extensors can fire so they can protect the strain enough to start repairing. The nice part is once you get the area warmed up it will feel less tight, which is great, except whatever repairing your body has done is with a different type of connective tissue, its less pliable and can't absorb the energy skiing will transmit through that region so you will not only re-tear it, you will cause it to respond by laying down even dense connective tissue. Its a great system, it responds to input well. Unfortunately, that denser tissue will leave you with a nice large area of non contractile webbing and your muscle fibers will never work right until you spend the time gently applying tension so they can gradually convert back the connective tissue that is more pliable type of tissue and can elongate and shorten along with its associated muscle fiber.

go for it.

Madroch

Thanks for the info kingdom-tele- I sincerely appreciate it- but your bedside manner needs some work. Sorry, not a huge fan if sarcasm...

While it was a factor pushing me to try to ski this weekend- my work schedule providing no opportunity to ski after this weekend until after Christmas may be just what the dr and kingdom tele ordered. Nice little rest- just hope it will be enough.

snoseek

Some light exercise would probably be a good thing but I don't know about skiing. Riding a bike would maybe be better? If not at least you didn't drive anywhere, less investment of time.

kingdom-tele

Thanks for the info kingdom-tele- I sincerely appreciate it- but your bedside manner needs some work. Sorry, not a huge fan if sarcasm...

While it was a factor pushing me to try to ski this weekend- my work schedule providing no opportunity to ski after this weekend until after Christmas may be just what the dr and kingdom tele ordered. Nice little rest- just hope it will be enough.

sorry about that, got into the shed mt.ale a little heavy last night. Take care of it now, long season to come. Have a great holiday.