• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hard lockdown in Ontario, 4 weeks including ski areas

slatham

Sorry to hear this. I hope the US and New England can keep it together enough to continue to ski. It’s been very well handled at Bromley and Magic

snoseek

I'm convinced sunnunu will take it to the absolute end. Hoping for better days Ontario. Skiing in my experience has been handled well.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If we were going to shutdown at all we'd be shut down already, imo. Hospitalizations falling in CT, VT, and Maine. Flattening in NY, NH, and Mass. On a national level things are flattening. Yesterday's new cases were less than that of Sunday of the previous week, same with Saturday. Some days there are week-to-week increases but it's not at the exponential level it was at 6 weeks ago.

If we can get to Feb 1 without shutting down I doubt it's happening at all.

Zand

If we were going to shutdown at all we'd be shut down already, imo. Hospitalizations falling in CT, VT, and Maine. Flattening in NY, NH, and Mass. On a national level things are flattening. Yesterday's new cases were less than that of Sunday of the previous week, same with Saturday. Some days there are week-to-week increases but it's not at the exponential level it was at 6 weeks ago.

If we can get to Feb 1 without shutting down I doubt it's happening at all.
I wouldn't get too confident about it until,mid January. I think it comes down to the Christmas spike. If it exceeds the Thanksgiving spike then things might shut down for a few weeks. If it's not so bad, I think we're in the clear.

Zermatt

I wouldn't get too confident about it until,mid January. I think it comes down to the Christmas spike. If it exceeds the Thanksgiving spike then things might shut down for a few weeks. If it's not so bad, I think we're in the clear.
What Thanksgiving spike? The one that never occured or the one we hear about on the news non stop that nobody can find in the data.

p_levert

Does that mean the Ikon/Blue bets are paying out?

That's what I chose. I think I'm the only one around here. My son and a friend went with that as well. Savings of $150 each, assuming a 4 week lockdown.

At some point in the next two months, I expect a significant spike in VT cases. But I think that VT will just exclude all tourists while not going into a full lockdown. So I don't expect ski areas to be forced to close. But who knows for sure what will happen?

p_levert

Do you normally ski Blue Mountain?
Normally, no. (I have been there in the past.) It was a strategic choice to try and game the system. Just like I would have chosen Stratton over Sugarbush. Stratton is in the south and in a more populous region, so probably more likely to get shut down. I ski at the Bush almost every year, hardly ever go to Stratton.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Normally, no. (I have been there in the past.) It was a strategic choice to try and game the system. Just like I would have chosen Stratton over Sugarbush. Stratton is in the south and in a more populous region, so probably more likely to get shut down. I ski at the Bush almost every year, hardly ever go to Stratton.
Well.....is that a good idea? Normally I would say no, but since I hate Alterra, carry on. ;)

You don't think they are going to catch on?

p_levert

Well.....is that a good idea? Normally I would say no, but since I hate Alterra, carry on. ;)

You don't think they are going to catch on?

There's nothing in the rules that says that you have to ski regularly at your chosen resort. So, no, I think I'm fine.

My choice is a little on the amoral side, but I"m ok with that. On Dec 22, I feel like a pretty smart guy. Smarter than Kusty, that's for sure ;-)

mikec142

There's nothing in the rules that says that you have to ski regularly at your chosen resort. So, no, I think I'm fine.

My choice is a little on the amoral side, but I"m ok with that. On Dec 22, I feel like a pretty smart guy. Smarter than Kusty, that's for sure ;-)
I wouldn't call it amoral. I'd say that you put some thought into your decision, which is more than most. Good for you.

I thought about it for a hot second and then did nothing so by default I took the entire Alterra universe. By my back of the envelope calculations...I should get about ten cents back as of now.

KustyTheKlown

definitely not amoral. you pick a resort, if they close, you win the refund. its totally reasonable to choose a destination resort nowhere near where you live. 'i bought this pass to ski at squaw even tho i live in nyc'. nothing amoral about it. not everyone is a regular with a home mountain. a vacationer intending to ski 7 days at squaw does better on ikon base purchased early than any other squaw product (assumption for the sake of my argument, i haven't checked for sure)

chuckstah

I'm convinced sunnunu will take it to the absolute end. Hoping for better days Ontario. Skiing in my experience has been handled well.
I watched part of Sunnunu's presser today. Certainly seems like he has gone as far as he will with restrictions, further than he ever wanted to. Unless there's no hospital capacity, including surge capacity, this is where we are going forward.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What Thanksgiving spike? The one that never occured or the one we hear about on the news non stop that nobody can find in the data.

I think he's referring to the one you said would shut down vermont ski resorts days before the season began in mid November as other resorts across the country were open.