• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hardest Line In the East? They get my vote!

Huck_It_Baby

I think Dudley would be downright impossible in winter conditions even for the most experienced climber. It is very steep and the whole trail is exposed from beginning to end.

It does look very steep...especially the lower area. I was just trying to think of a shorter and less exposed way in than KE.

MadMadWorld

View attachment 9124

I marked what I THINK is the line. MadMadWorld will have to confirm.

Yup that's pretty much it. I included a winter pic but have no idea how to add the line. It's the first notch between the two prominent peaks from left to right (Pamola and Chimney Peaks). Huck It, you don't have to take the Saddle trail all the way around the mountain to get to it. There are quite a few places that you can skin up (Abol Slide is one).

untitled.jpg

Huck_It_Baby

Yup that's pretty much it. I included a winter pic but have no idea how to add the line. It's the first notch between the two prominent peaks from left to right (Pamola and Chimney Peaks). Huck It, you don't have to take the Saddle trail all the way around the mountain to get to it. There are quite a few places that you can skin up (Abol Slide is one).

I appreciate the info, thank you!

Abol slide looks pretty enticing to ski actually. I've been wanting to get to Katahdin for a while now and perhaps that would be a good start point.

dlague

Looks crazy and more than likely not something I will not attempt - maybe 20 years ago! However I did read this tidbit:

Knife Edge

The most famous hike to the summit goes along Knife Edge, which traverses the ridge between Pamola Peak and Baxter Peak. The mountain has claimed 19 lives since 1963,[14] mostly from exposure in bad weather and falls from the Knife Edge. For about 3/10 of a mile the trail is 3 feet wide, with a drop off on either side.

snowmonster

I love this conversation. Katahdin was always on my hit list but, being solo, I knew it was a little bit too ambitious for me. Perhaps if I got a good crew with me, I would have done it. But, I didn't know that there were Katahdin veterans/enthusiasts around here until now. Gee, where were you guys two years ago?:cry:

By the way, the footage of that descent was pretty gnarly. Being that steep, technical and far from rescue, I probably would have been saying my Hail Marys.

MadMadWorld

I love this conversation. Katahdin was always on my hit list but, being solo, I knew it was a little bit too ambitious for me. Perhaps if I got a good crew with me, I would have done it. But, I didn't know that there were Katahdin veterans/enthusiasts around here until now. Gee, where were you guys two years ago?:cry:

By the way, the footage of that descent was pretty gnarly. Being that steep, technical and far from rescue, I probably would have been saying my Hail Marys.
I'd be down for an expedition. I did a small trip last year during the AZ trip to Sugarloaf. It was most excellent.

You guys are all nuts! And I mean that in more than one way.

The good kind of nuts though right?

Huck_It_Baby

I would have done it with you, SM! BTW I have some Gopro footage you are in on Big Jay I should send your way. Too large for email.

I'm in for a Katahdin trip this coming season.

MMM- Can you drive to the Abol trail head in Winter? My understanding is that winter access to the park is from much further away...?

MadMadWorld

I would have done it with you, SM! BTW I have some Gopro footage you are in on Big Jay I should send your way. Too large for email.

MMM- Can you drive to the Abol trail head in Winter? My understanding is that winter access to the park is from much further away...?

I never really had a problem. I always just went with a few people that had sleds. People don't usually have a problem offering up a ride to skiers for a few brewskis

Smellytele

you have to park at the abol bridge on the golden road and hike or ski in. To get to chimney pond it is pretty long. You have to go 8 miles to roaring brook then i think 3 miles from there to CP then hike up from there. The Abol side is a lot easier to get to but to do this run you would end up having to hike back up and over after skiing it. The regulations are a little more lenient then they used to be.

bigbog

Nice stuff MMW,
Hey I've gotten close to the Chimney & chute beyond to scout HA!.. .
Nice stylin'..plus the nice snow in there(in video)...makes all the difference.
I've been sticking to the backside of Veto(comfy pitched stuff w/no chutes) till I get used to the better feel from my newfound level-hips:lol:, plus I need walk-mode(=new boots)..the Frankenstein method is tiring.
Williams road was doable w/4WD & right tires AND friend w/plow;-). With enough cover a nice smooth powride with some pitch...and gave me time to scout out any stumps in Fall before the 1st time.

Last edited: