• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Has this season so far changed where you think you'll buy a pass next year?

AdironRider

So I'll admit Im more looking at NH areas, and Ive started threads about this somewhat before. Anyways wife and I are moving back Christmas of 2014 and are starting to plan for our pass purchases now since we'll actually have to buy them this year (no more employee passes from Jackson -sadface).

We'll be based out of Seacoast NH, and have access to the inlaws place in Twin Mountain.

Unfortunately pretty much all the majors in NH seemed to have dropped the ball outside of Bretton Woods, which we wont ski because its a giant bunny hill.

Anyways, has this years performance changed where you will ski next year?

Just going to say, the non-season pass discount hunters probably don't apply, unless one place has sucked so hard you'll never go back.

JDMRoma

Well its too early to tell but as of today…….I am a super pass holder right now and just spent the last 2 days at Cannon…….If anything right now it would be a Cannon only pass for me next year.
I do like BW for the glades and generally always good snow conditions…..

4aprice

I'll ask in a year how you feel about leaving the promise land (in a skiing sense). I would go with one of the multi-mountain passes. NH seacoast opens pretty good options no? Loaf/ River/ Loon, Attitash/Wildcat/Crotched, Cannon/Waterville/Bretton/Cranmore. I like variety so any one of those would be good to me, depends on the price.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Tin

Crotched's pass is tough to beat with their snowmaking and they always seem to get some decent coastal dumps. Already have four solid days of tree skiing there this year.

dlague

Just going to say, the non-season pass discount hunters probably don't apply, unless one place has sucked so hard you'll never go back.

I am one of these hunters but I look at the total spent each year and compare it to the cost of a season pass at decent resorts. Some years a season pass might have been a better deal. However I still get stuck on variety. Not just the trails, but the different bar/pub experiences, vibes, etc.. Do pass holders ever get bored with a resort? The larger resorts I get like Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf to name a few - plenty of acreage to keep busy for a while.

So with the season pass idea floating I agree with the options below! We also considered the Jay/QBurke option as well. For a little more there is the Sunapee, Okemo and Crested Butte option and of course the Killington Pass as well. One of these days I may just go for it since deal hunting seems to get harder. For me the Cannon/Waterville/Bretton/Cranmore option looks best base on where I live!

I'll ask in a year how you feel about leaving the promise land (in a skiing sense). I would go with one of the multi-mountain passes. NH seacoast opens pretty good options no? Loaf/ River/ Loon, Attitash/Wildcat/Crotched, Cannon/Waterville/Bretton/Cranmore. I like variety so any one of those would be good to me, depends on the price.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll probably stick with the Granite Pass. I haven't been thrilled with Attitash and Wildcat, but Crotched has been great. I'm going to trust that the promised snowmaking improvements at Wildcat during the off season is more than just lip service.

snoseek

I'm moving over, Snowbird next year is likely

BackLoafRiver

I'll stick with the NE Gold pass for next year. SR in October was darn fine and I am expecting a huge 2nd half for mother nature. Maine is underrated.

AdironRider

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Haha, yeah its not the ideal situation skiing wise, but theres a kiddo on the way and no one on either side of the family lives closer West than Exeter already. Blue collar families so the grandparents don't have the scratch to fly out more than once every couple years. Plus education systems in ski towns are pitiful, and its not due to a lack of resources.....

Also, big work opportunity for me coming to fruition, making a go of it on my own but not something I can do here in Jackson.

snoseek

Haha, yeah its not the ideal situation skiing wise, but theres a kiddo on the way and no one on either side of the family lives closer West than Exeter already. Blue collar families so the grandparents don't have the scratch to fly out more than once every couple years. Plus education systems in ski towns are pitiful, and its not due to a lack of resources.....

Also, big work opportunity for me coming to fruition, making a go of it on my own but not something I can do here in Jackson.

Choose your school system in NH carefully also, Exeter would be about ideal as it comes...or even PCA if you're considering going that route. There's tons of subpar school systems in NH....I did k-12 in Sanborn and wouldn't exactly consider that a well funded school. As far as skiing, if you're based out of Twin mtn then Cannon is your obvious choice. Jay is just a bit too far IMO

Brad J

I have a Granite pass now but after coming back from Snowbird and Alta , I will forgo the granite pass and do two weeks in Utah. worth it.All done with promises of snow making , I will rely on mother nature

deadheadskier

Staff member
Choose your school system in NH carefully also, Exeter would be about ideal as it comes...or even PCA if you're considering going that route. There's tons of subpar school systems in NH....I did k-12 in Sanborn and wouldn't exactly consider that a well funded school. As far as skiing, if you're based out of Twin mtn then Cannon is your obvious choice. Jay is just a bit too far IMO

Exeter High School is very well funded. It does however have an enrollment of 1700 students. That's a bit too large IMO. I think Portsmouth or especially Oyster River would be the better choices for top High Schools on the seacoast.

I'm sure you know this, but Sanborn has a brand new High School, beautiful facility.

snoseek

Exeter High School is very well funded. It does however have an enrollment of 1700 students. That's a bit too large IMO. I think Portsmouth or especially Oyster River would be the better choices for top High Schools on the seacoast.

I'm sure you know this, but Sanborn has a brand new High School, beautiful facility.
Yeah, it blew my mind when I saw it! I'll still miss the ol seminary though...creaky old haunted house and cold as %## in the winter! Actually I'm really not up to date at all on the school systems, just going on my experience way back...it seems like things are funded better maybe? I mean, We didn't have very much for sports, zero football and a snack bar that sold candy/soda/juice and elios pizza for school lunch-I'm not joking about that-there was zero real food sold.

Bostonian

Cannot complain about the Gunstock pass, while I would love to have something like the SKI-93 NH with Cannon and Waterville ... Finances, and just sheer easy of getting to G across the street is nice. Plus now that I got the little guy on skis, gunstock will be a good place for him to learn next year.