• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack...Maybe some life yet???

drjeff

From the latest Deerfield Valley News

http://www.dvalnews.com/news.php?news/news3.html

You only need to read the 1st 1/2 of the article as the 2nd 1/2 is just basic Wilmington, VT issues :)

"Haystack development may be on again
By Mike Eldred

WILMINGTON- Real estate matters and park plans were on the agenda at Wednesday evening’s selectboard meeting.

In a discussion regarding glebe land owned by the town on Haystack, town manager Bob Rusten told board members that Bob Foise and 1 Cornell Way, former developers of the Haystack Club, appear to have transferred their Haystack land to another company. The new owner of Haystack is Alt Charities, which is listed as a real estate holding company.

After a series of correspondence with Alt Charities’ treasurer regarding the disposition of the glebe land, which includes part of Haystack’s trail system, the company’s president G. Tyler Henshaw, of East Hampton, CT, sent a letter to the board officially requesting that the town transfer the glebe lease to his company.

In his notarized letter, Henshaw says he has been “a successful business owner for more than 20 years, and an avid skier for many more.” He also confirmed that he is now the owner of “the entire Chamonix Village” at Haystack, and that he plans to proceed with the development started by Foise and 1 Cornell Way, including the construction of a new quad lift. He said acquiring the lease to the glebe land was “a necessary step in developing the village, ski area, and for future expansion of the Haystack area.”

Rusten said the letter was accompanied by a check for $22,500, to cover the first year’s lease. During a phone call to Alt Charities’ treasurer, Rusten said, he was assured that Henshaw “does, in fact, intend to work on revitalizing the ski resort, he’s got a vision for it, and has the time to be able to do this.”

In Vermont, glebe land is land that was set aside in the town’s original charter for public ownership. Originally, some parcels of glebe land were leased and the proceeds used to support the local church. In the 19th century, most of the parcels reverted to either the town or school district.

The board postponed further discussion on the terms of the lease for an executive session at the end of the meeting.

In other real estate matters, the owner of a parcel of land at the corner of Stowe Hill and White’s Road contacted the board about the possibility of deeding the parcel to the town in return for a tax abatement on a nearby parcel, or other consideration. Rusten said the parcel includes a small cabin, but that the rest of the land is under some kind of deed restriction barring the construction of a building. The parcel offers one of the town’s most spectacular vistas.

“If nobody can build in the beautiful view, I don’t see why the selectboard would spend money to take it off the tax rolls,” said selectboard chair Meg Streeter.

But Rusten noted that the deed would allow the owner to tear down the cabin and build another structure in its place. Board member Jim Burke suggested that the board could consider whether the location would be appropriate for a community center and recreation area. “If the price is feasible and there’s an acre to build on, maybe it would be a good place for a community center,” he said.

White’s Road resident Nicki Steel said a similar proposal had been offered to the selectboard several years ago, when the land was under a previous owner. Board members decided to reserve action on the offer until they could investigate the town’s reaction to the earlier offer.

In discussions on the downtown park, beautification committee member Mary Wright told board members the bank park’s landscaping plan, part of the second phase of construction, has been completed, and the committee was ready to issue a request for proposals. The landscape plan features a number of perennial plantings, including two apple trees. Wright said the two crabapple trees wouldn’t exceed a height of 10 to 12 feet, but Streeter said she was more concerned about the trees’ fruit production.

“You might just like to make sure it’s not like the tree that’s outside my office,” she said, “which has fruit that comes off in an unpleasant and never-ending downpour for about two months.”

Streeter said the tree, which overhangs the sidewalk in front of her building, is so foul that someone tried to cut its limbs off several years ago. “Someone tried to kill that tree,” she said. “It just made it stronger.”

Wright also asked the board about choosing an official name for the park. It has been referred to as “the bank lot” and the “bank park,” but Wright said the committee would like to have a name that could be put on a sign for the park. Burke suggested holding a public contest to name the park, and board members asked beautification members to discuss the matter and propose a contest."

Glenn

That's really interesting. It's tough to see the place just sitting there...doing nothing. You could see the trails easily from the peak area of Mt. Snow.

I heard a rumor that some guys have taken their sleds up there, probably at night, to ride the trails.

It would be nice if they got the lifts spinning there again, it was a nice area. Even if it was "private", at least it would get some use.

arik

april fools?

http://www.dvalnews.com/features.php?features/features2.html

so I would really LOVE haystack to reopen, but I can't help noticing that same issue of the Deerfield valley news also ran an article about gold having been found in Dover (near Mount Snow) which got me thinking this is the April fools issue of the DVAL news, I hope Haystack's odds are better than that but suspect this is a way for the former owner to shift title to a shell buisness and avoid paying fees owed to the town of Wilmington from last year (unpaid )

drjeff

http://www.dvalnews.com/features.php?features/features2.html

so I would really LOVE haystack to reopen, but I can't help noticing that same issue of the Deerfield valley news also ran an article about gold having been found in Dover (near Mount Snow) which got me thinking this is the April fools issue of the DVAL news, I hope Haystack's odds are better than that but suspect this is a way for the former owner to shift title to a shell buisness and avoid paying fees owed to the town of Wilmington from last year (unpaid )

Nope, NOT the April fools part for the Haystack Article. The "Deerfield Valley Snooze" (they're April Fools part) was just a 1 page item, and amongst other things they joked about the State of VT suddenly giving Mount Snow their Act 250 approval for The West Lake Project which Mount Snow then named "The Kelly Clark Memorial Lagoon" ;) :lol: :spin:

jcbskier

Haystack

Well I was sad to see it close when it did and hated hearing it might be made into a private ski area. Worked there in the late 80's for three years. It was a real nice family ski area. It is so sad when the small ski areas close. I skied 5 when I was living in VT, that are all closed now. So I hope it opens again and to the public.

vcunning

I wonder how/if this impacts Mount Snow's use of the Haystack water supply for Carinthia?