• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Headed to Jay for 30 Rock Christmas

Morwax

Her and I will be staying at the Tram Haus 22,23 and 24th of December..What can we expect for snow? :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
If anyone knew, they'd be a millionaire. At that time of year I've had grass (2006) and some incredible powder all week (2007-2008).

Death Ice to Four Feet of Fresh. Though most likely, something in between those two extremes.

Enjoy!
:

And don't forget the weather that goes along with those extremes. Could be -40 with the wind chill (C or F, same thing), could be raining. Wind is a given.

At least the holiday crowds won't be out in full force at that time.

If you find yourself sitting on The Freezer, huddling into your balaclava, complaining to your wife about how &%$#ing cold it is, and some guy in a red jacket turns to you and cheerfully says, "Welcome to Jay Peak!" - that will be me.

Morwax

Awwww

Feeling very TGR-ish in here. I was hoping there were some Jay regulars that could maybe give me an average depth around X-mas time.. We are not afraid of the cold or the crowd and just wanted to do something different for X-Mas eve. If it rains there will be just as much if not more fun had in the room :spin:
:beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Feeling very TGR-ish in here. I was hoping there were some Jay regulars that could maybe give me an average depth around X-mas time.
If it was TGR, you would have been called a JONG and no attempt at a legit answer would have been offered. I stand by my reply as a legit and to the point answer. Specifically regarding base depths... you can expect anything from grass to four feet deep base depths.

And I am not just being a wise ass, that is the honest to goodness truth. I had a season pass at Jay for three years and I have skied there more than any other mountain. I've skied three feet of fresh in October and I've skied at Jay in late December when the only two trails open are Jet and Haynes. That early in the season, keep your hopes low and you might be pleasantly surprised. Or not.

Morwax

If it was TGR, you would have been called a JONG and no attempt at a legit answer would have been offered. I stand by my reply as a legit and to the point answer. Specifically regarding base depths... you can expect anything from grass to four feet deep base depths.

And I am not just being a wise ass, that is the honest to goodness truth. I had a season pass at Jay for three years and I have skied there more than any other mountain. I've skied three feet of fresh in October and I've skied at Jay in late December when the only two trails open are Jet and Haynes. That early in the season, keep your hopes low and you might be pleasantly surprised. Or not.
Wasnt really aimed at your post. Although your estimated range is a bit wide imho. I do appreciate your honesty. After 38 years skiing I am the biggest Jong Gaper you will ever meet :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Although your estimated range is a bit wide imho.
It is not wide at all. I've personally seen both extremes at Jay in December. Other ski areas might have a lower top range but any ski area in December has a potential low range of grass with only snow on the opening snow making trails. December 10th 2006 as an example:
http://www.thesnowway.com/2006/12/10/horrible-conditions-at-jay-peak

On the flip side, I've charged 2+ feet of fresh over a few feet of snow making base on Jet/Haynes in December. Mellow low angle woods are almost always skiable at some point in December at Jay (most years). So either is possible.

Morwax

It is not wide at all. I've personally seen both extremes at Jay in December. Other ski areas might have a lower top range but any ski area in December has a potential low range of grass with only snow on the opening snow making trails. December 10th 2006 as an example:
http://www.thesnowway.com/2006/12/10/horrible-conditions-at-jay-peak

On the flip side, I've charged 2+ feet of fresh over a few feet of snow making base on Jet/Haynes in December. Mellow low angle woods are almost always skiable at some point in December at Jay (most years). So either is possible.
So we have to go back to 06 to find horrible conditions :grin::grin::grin:
Im really feeling optimistic now, thanks :grin::grin::grin:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So we have to go back to 06 to find horrible conditions :grin::grin::grin:
Im really feeling optimistic now, thanks :grin::grin::grin:
Ha! Let me add some context. I have not been a season pass holder at Jay the last two seasons, so I don't ski there as much recently. And I VERY rarely ski on bad days. My having to go back to 2006 to find a December TR with bad conditions at Jay says more about me being picky with my days than Jay always having good conditions in December. Don't be optimistic. Just go and have a good time.

.... Don't be optimistic. Just go and have a good time.

This forum is about as far from TGR as you can get and still be talking about skiing. rivercOil is totally accurate. My response may have sounded flippant but it is totally accurate as well. I've skied at Jay for over 40 years and have seen a few Christmas weeks during that time. It's a crapshoot. Bottom line is that it is a great mountain and if you are open-minded and ready for anything, you'll have fun. And this year, there is always the waterpark!

Once you finish reading The Snowway's reports, here are a few of mine from Christmas/early seasons past if you still don't believe us:

Christmas week 2010

Mid-December 2010

Christmas/New Year's 2009

Mid-December 2009

New Year's Day 2009 - Take One

New Year's Day 2009 - Take Two

crank

I've been up to Jay many times just after Christmas...like always at Jay it is hit or miss. It can be great in mid December and all it takes is a warm rain followed by a cold front and your done until it snows again. Just the way it is.